We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hi guys and girls, planning on a trip around asia, and new zealand, around next year, by myself, was hoping you guys could give me some opinons and adivce on my route/ advise me on expenses, basically plan on spending as little as possible, staying at hostels, guest houses etc.

Places i have decided on visiting ( for now) is: London>india>thailand>Cambodia>Laos>Sri lanka>south korea,Vietnam>newzealand> back to london.

Spending about a month or so in each, and slightly more in Newzealand possibly 3+.

Toal expected time about a year, plan on one way tickets for more freedom.

as for all money including travel thinking maybe £15000, do you think that is realistic, bareing in mind travel in total for all them will likely be around £3000 although i do planning on finding the cheapest possible means of travel.

would really appreciate your insight and opinions, please be honest and tell me if you think the budget is not enough, etc etc.

Thanks again!

Tom

EDIT: Please excuse typo on title >.< meant to be newzealand!

Edited: 04 August 2013, 00:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

@BradJill

Thanks for the reply!

yeah i think i may have to drop taiwan in that case then, i may add maylasia, and possibly bali!

will need to check these out a bit more though, but i am like the idea!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

ok. so looks like the ideal route weather wise would be.

India>Thailand>Cambodia>laos>Sri lanka>Vietnam>Malaysia>Bali>New zealand.

only thing is it's kind of a roundabout way, may just go, India>Sri lanka>Thailand>Cambodia>Laos>Vietnam>Malaysia>Bali>New Zealand.

dont think that would be too bad weather wise!

Edited: 05 August 2013, 17:02
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
325 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hello,

I just had an idea for your flight tickets.

You might just want to get a return ticket to NZ with a stopover in Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur or anywhere in Asia valid for 1 year and then fly AIR ASIA or another low cost carrier everywhere you need to go and then go overland some as well. This might work out a whole lot cheaper, as it's a simple return ticket with a stopover. The local flights in Asia, you can buy supercheap online with Air Asia which is a super reliable low cost carrier. We paid $20 for Bangkok-Hanoi, $19 Bangkok-Pnom Penh, $89 for KL to Sri Lanka, all one way fares. This way you cut out the major time planning (e.g. 1 month everywhere) and you can decide there and then where you want to go. For some countries you might need an onward ticket, others overland mostly, they don't ask. You should be fine, as you are showing a ticket that leaves Asia at a certain date.

This might bring your flight cost down considerably from 3000 Pounds to about 1000-1500 for your annual NZ trip and then you would need about 300-500 at the very most for your inner Asian flights (may be not even that, as Air Asia has specials all the time).

You could then also divide your Asian trip (one lot to do on your journey there, one lot on the way back). This might work better with the monsoon planning and it would also save you the penalty fees, when you want to date change a flight, as all the other flights topple over like a domino set in the case of a more involved multi-flight ticket. Just an idea.

It really is a fun trip and there is so much to do. I think you will need a year for sure. So book an annual trip with the stopover and then you can see how you do. Most of us who travel never ever want to go home, there is just too much to see!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,884 posts
5,897 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

>>>>India>Sri lanka>Thailand>Cambodia>Laos>Vietnam>Malaysia>Bali>New Zealand.<<<<

Actually, you will find a more intuitive route will be

India -> Sri Lanka > (1/2) Thailand > Cambodia > Vietnam > Laos > Malaysia (1/2 Thailand) > Singapore > Bali > NZ.

The French Indochina area route works a bit like a circle. You can go into Laos from Cambodia but its more optimal to pass through Cambodia into Vietnam, go north and then enter Laos after you have seen Vietnam. Most Laos area to visit are also in the central / north of the country so it natural to see them after you have finished up Vietnam and are in the Hanoi area. Then reenter Thailand before proceeding to Malaysia and then onward. So it works a bit like a loop route.

As for Thailand, I would suggest splitting it up. See half of it before you set off for Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos and then see the other half (ideally the southern part and islands) just before you enter Malaysia.

Just some added thoughts. Hope they are useful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

Thanks for the replies!

@AquaPacifica i will look in to what you are suggesting Aqua although, i plan to visit india first, so possibly a stop over at delhi would be ideal.

but if i had a stop over at say india, does that mean i would have to go back to india to get my flight to newzealand? as i would most likely be around Bali at that time.

wasn't even aware you could get a ticket with a stop over and a year, thought most stop overs were like a day or two!

@BradJill

thats an interesting idea, how come you would suggest splitting thailand in to two, do you mean as if to spend 2 whole months in thailand? 30 days and another 30 days on the way back?

as for singapore, have heard it's not that great, and very expensive!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
325 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hey,

No what I would do is take a stopover in a more central place where Air Asia is flying to and from such as Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for Tiger Airways and then backtrack to India (fly in one city, out of another or Sri Lanka for that matter), we got KL-Colombo for $90 return, then you have a central Asian place with cheap flights in and out that you use as a central point where you then stop-over on the way back to do the part of Asia that you missed because of seasonality or whatnot.

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

hmmm interesting....

so bascially flying backwards to thailand each time i want an airasia flight, if thats what you're saying, as bangkok is a central place, and airasia only flies from certain places? so for example, bangkok= delhi-sri lanka- bangkok-cambodia-vietnam-laos-bangkok- malaysia- bangkok-bali-bangkok-newzealand, something along them lines? although possibly i'd be able to fly from some of them places with airasia without going back to bangkok?

will look more in to this, but i should be alright for seasons now i think, although i need to look more in to this the route Bradjill suggested should be ok for the seasons, although it will be pretty toasty in laos when i get there!!

India -> Sri Lanka > (1/2) Thailand > Cambodia > Vietnam > Laos > Malaysia (1/2 Thailand) > Singapore > Bali > NZ.

although i dont think i will go to singapore, and not sure about the 1/2 thailand twice, may just do that once, still waiting on brad's reply though, so need more info really.

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

I stayed in NZ for 7 weeks in 2007 and did a bus tour of the South Island. Check out kiwiexperience.com - I went on Magic Bus, but there were several tour lines that did the same thing and some routes include a train ride (Tranz Alpine). You buy a pass for the route you want to vist and it's good for a year which gives you the opportunity to get off somewhere and stay for a while if you want. When you're ready to leave you just call to reserve a seat on the next bus that comes through on the date you want to leave. Our driver provided a tour catalog of the towns their bus line stopped in and assisted in booking hotels or hostels and day activities (I recommend hostels to keep your costs down if you're not picky). You should be able to find a route that picks up and drops off at the airport or ferry landing so it's entirely possible to fly in and get right on the bus.

Regardless of how you travel or where you stay, I highly recommend you Google "hostel discount card" before you book anything for anywhere. There are several to choose from (YHA [student card], VIP, Backpackers, Hosteling International etc...) and you'll need to research to find the one that offers the best discounts for you (typically $1-4 a night off) as they run around $45 dollars for a 12 month membership. You should be able to find one that encompasses the international locations you are travelling to and they typically they pay for themselves in as little as 10-15 nights. Most also offer discounts on booking bus tours, car rentals, Adventure Tours, museums, etc... so I would definitely find a card and get it before you start booking excursions.

I stayed on the North Island for most of my trip and travelled the South Island on a 12 day holiday and when I return it will be solely for the South Island. For me, it had the most experiences (climbing a glacier in Franz Josef, Fiordland, etc...). Don't shoot the messenger because there was plenty to see on the North Island as well, but the South Island just had such a varied geography and history that I could have stayed for a year and not done everything I wanted to.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,884 posts
5,897 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

>>>@BradJill

thats an interesting idea, how come you would suggest splitting thailand in to two, do you mean as if to spend 2 whole months in thailand? 30 days and another 30 days on the way back?<<<<

It would probably be worth your time to get a map out and look at the SE Asian countries. Places like Thailand, Malaysia, Laos and Vietnam are very much North-South based. As such, trying to do each country in order means you will be criss-crossing north to south quite a lot. As such, a very common backpacker route is to go through Central Thailand across into Cambodia and then over to Vietnam. Then go from South to North Vietnam from HCMC to Hanoi. After your time in Vietnam, you cross border into Laos, where many popular attractions are in the central to northern region. Once finished, you simply cross back into Thailand at Vientenne, which is close to the Thailand border. From there you can take an overnight bus to Bangkok and begin your trip south into Southern Thailand and into the Malaysian Peninsula, onward to Singapore. Again, just get a map out and have a look and it will all make sense.

>>>>do you mean as if to spend 2 whole months in thailand? 30 days and another 30 days on the way back?<<<<

As for the exact split, it doesn't really have to be a perfect 50/50%. And if you are coming from India and arriving in Bangkok, it would be ok to just proceed straight to Cambodia and catch all of Thailand on the tail end prior to going into Malaysia. What makes less sense is to do all of Thailand up front, simply as you will end up spending a lot of time down in the south where the beautiful coastline and islands, where you are very near to Malaysia but very far from the rest of SE Asia (Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam). This is why its best to hit these countries first and then visit southern Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore last.

Also want to make sure the route listed above isn't misleading. The second (1/2 Thailand) should be before Malaysia. This should be intuitive that you would finish the second 1/2 trip to Thailand before proceeding to Malaysia but its worth clarifying anyway.

>>>>as for singapore, have heard it's not that great, and very expensive!<<<<

To each his own but do consider that Singapore was the 4th most visited city in the world last year with almost 12 million visitors, only trailing Bangkok, Paris and London (see link). Would be sort of strange that so many from around the world flock to Singapore if it was 'not that great'. But then there are those that actually believe that Bangkok, Paris and London are not that great as well. Will be best for you to look into Singapore and decide for youself if you want to visit and for how long. Remember, Changi airport in Singapore is one of the very best in the world and is a major hub so leaving S'pore to your next destination would make much logical sense as well.

As for expensive.... Yes...other than Hong Kong, this is the most expensive single location in SE Asia, considerably more so that its SE Asian neighbouring countries that you will have visited beforehand.

…forbesimg.com/andrewbender/files/2013/06/To…

Hope this is helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Trip around Asia/New zealnd: NEED HELP PLEASE!

@jmd1228 Thanks will deffo look in to that discount card, think it will be worth it, espeically if i'm there for 3 or so months!!

@BradJill Yeah that route does make a lot of sense, but i dont think singapore is a neccesarly worth it, as i can still do the same route pretty much and just skip singapore.

actually just double checking it i see what you mean about going through the south of the island through to singapore, hmm, suppose i wouldn't neccessarly have to stay there long, even just for 1 night, or just till the next flight, if i deemed singapore to expensive.

see i was thinking about doing the route you suggested but possibly skipping singapore, and flying from laos to malasia, but it seems you couldn't really do that with the route you suggested, and would miss some of thailand, couldn't really find any flights from laos to bali anyway, so may have to compromise on that and go for the one you spoke of, it does make sense to be honest.

the only thing im a bit concerned about is going through the south, have heard it pretty dangerous down there, and the UK foreign travel advice, advise against travel around that area https:/…thailand.

if i caught thailand on the tail end, kind of worried about the weather as my original plan was to get there about, januray time, but if i went straight from thailand through to cambodia like you said i could, then caught thailand on the way back would be around march, where it is the hottest period in thailand, so not sure if i'd want to trek around thailand, and the blisstering heat...

dammm dont know what to do....

Edited: 07 August 2013, 10:37