We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

Hello I'm a 23 years old student, and due to some 'logistic' issues i might be forced to travel alone for the first time.

I would to take a short trip during my holiday from college.

I'm looking to get some advice about a cool holiday destination in Europe for a solo trip between September & October, for duration of 7-10 days.

I'm looking for a place that has:

1. Some sightseeing to do

2.Night life

3.Friendly locals

4.Great food

5.Interesting activities

6. Possibly travel to country side

Of course the Country / City should be safe and the hotels and accommodations should be as clean as possible.

I have in mind Berlin & Munich but I'm leaning towards Ireland, Great Britain and Scotland (because of the lack of a language barrier), but obviously I'm open to suggestions.

I should mention I've been in Amsterdam with a buddy about two years ago and in Italy a few years back.

Thanks in advance.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,533 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

Munich could be fun for you, especially since you might be there during Oktoberfest. I've been there a few times for work, and had no issues with the language. I've also been to Dublin and parts of Ireland. 2 different places. You might want to spend some time on the local forum boards and plan out what your trip might look like.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

I did some research & planning about Berlin & Munich, less about Ireland.

But still want to know if anyone can suggest other destinations that should fit me aswell...

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

I was going to suggest Morocco according to all of your interests you have mentioned in your request, as it has all of that and there is no problem of Language barriers as people speaks the languages here, but since you are very interested More in Europ then would suggest something like Munich for more info go to the forums of Munich would be more helpful to your travel needs.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

Africa would be exotic. Have you consider the Asian continent, do not compound yourself only in EU

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

I agree, as a solo Female Traveller you have nothing to worry about as you can read one of the recent posts which was posted in the second page about travelling to North Africa espcially Morocco which is safe and recommended one for travellers to visit it's well worth a try.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

London is not only a fantastic city for all ages, but is an excellent hub for travelling to Ireland, and Continental Europe. Generally the weather is still good in October, not hot, but mild, some rain and still enough daylight hours to get out and about. You can get cheap flights to Dublin, which although much smaller, is a great city, and has accommodation for all budgets.

If you get tired of the delights of London, then you do have access to beautiful countryside and coast for days out or perhaps an overnight stay.

From London, you can get coaches, cheap flights, or use the Eurostar to visit Paris, and from there connect to other European cities.

Again, London is a good base from which to travel to Scotland, but sometimes it is cheaper to take an internal flight, than take the train!

Just be aware that if you use the UK as a base and then decide to add Ireland or the rest of Europe to your trip you will need two currencies, the euro and sterling.

Hostels are excellent value for money and provide a ready made social hub too.

Internal cheap flights.... best to book these directly with the airline, NOT a 3rd party website, and Ryanair, Aer Lingus, British Airways and Easyjet are the most well known.If you opt for just carry on luggage, do read the terms and conditions carefully, as cabin luggage allowances vary between airlines and the size/weight restrictions can be rigourously enforced.

London and Dublin have a local entertainment paper called "Time Out", which has lisiting of musical/entertainment events for all tastes, but is mainly aimed at a younger readership.

With 7 days to 10 days, you could comfortably cover London ( and the surrounding countryside) Dublin and at a pinch, one more destination.

For up to date information about prices, transport costs and reviews of accommodation, I'd suggest checking the information in the individual destination forums. I know that the London travel forum has a monthly meeting, to which everyone is warmly welcomed to.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 10:58
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

I absolutely love, love and love (both Republic of and Northern ) Ireland. I am not so familiar with UK, only been to London and Brighton and I agree London is a great place to be. You did not mention a budget, so I need to ask on this... What kind of budget you are after and what kind of accomodation? My comment might be irrelevant, but the only hesitation I have on those destinations are that although most hostels, hotels, restaurants, attractions are good value for money, still costs are high.

To be honest, I do not find language such an issue. How did you manage on Italy for example? If you were ok there, I do not see why not to be ok on say Portugal or Spain or Greece or wherever, and costs are much lower there.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

Asian coutries? Japan? Korea? hong Kong?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

Thank you all for the all the advice, i'm focused mainly in these countries because i have family that visited there a 5-7 years ago, no solo travel but a group.

@mcpinder, thanks alot for all the great advice, i'm very happy to hear that 10 days should be enough time to spend in London & in Ireland ... about a third destination i think 2 would be fine by me.

From the research i've done, I think about going to Dublin, jumping to Belfast for a day or 2 and of course visit the countryside. I read that i will probably need a car to travel & enjoy the countryside a bit better.

I have already posted questions in the destination forums as well.

@mariha2912 thank you so much for your advice, 3 star hotel is fine by me, budget for hotel & flight is about 800 -1000 Euro, and spending is about 500-700 Euro's (but i'm sure that i will come back home with some "spare change").

Edited: 05 August 2013, 18:45
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for solo travel destinations - student holiday

David, glad to be of help. If you decide to visit Ireland, (and I hope you do!), you can get excellent coach connections at Dublin Airport for direct (and cheap!!!) connections to Northern Ireland. Petrol is very expensive in Ireland. and there may be restrictions about taking a hire car across the border. You may also need an international drivers licence. Best to check this in either the Dublin or Belfast travel forums. Hope you have a great trip, and if you get time, please come back and tell us how you got on.