We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

With all the posts about different definitions of Solo Travel, I have a very simple question.

Is it time to recommend to TripAdvisor a change in the FAQ for this forum?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k2413340…

Should we accept that individuals who opt for "group travel" trips or want to find "travel buddies" may fit into this forum? Or possibly this might be considered a sub-forum?

I personally believe solo means solo; planning, booking, traveling. I think allowing group travel posts has the potential to turn into a rant board (like Bargain Travel) and I also believe that vetting "travel buddies" or groups that encourage travel buddies, could turn into a slippery slope and flood our board. But, lately, at least 1 in 4 or 5 posts do not fit the definition. So, is it time to reconsider?

Thanks.

bk_t1

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of flow-chart that new TA Members could look at to help them understand where (which forum) to post. I suppose we would need TA to champion and organise the non-destination forums so that there was more clarity on what they represent (definition and purpose) and how they fit together. At present, with a lack of such mechanism, there is a tremendous amount of overlap between some of the forums and countless posts going to the wrong or less optimal forums. Just wishful thinking!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,945 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

All that would really require would be a clear description in bold print at the top of the forum instead of hidden in a folder. Should be easy enough.

It still leaves a lot of single people with nowhere to go. A singles forum doesn't sound right and would definitely encourage the wrong sort of posts. Also it is a feature here that we can redirect people to the relevant forum as many questions really belong there, many posting and travelling alone for the first time.

Is it not feasible to entertain both and just not answer the questions that don't appeal?

I would definitely like to see some more hints and tips in the FAQ's about how to plan and trip reports. There is very little obvious guidance or information there considering how much experience is floating around. Not surprising then that the concept isn't clear.

It would also be good to hear from some other regular posters on this forum. It seems mostly DE's.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Hey mcp :))) Sorry, forgot to subscribe to the updates on this one and left this discussion out of my attention for a while..

Well, now that Sue has already started implementing your suggestion, I can only say that I am, too, guilty of making no reports at all. I find it easier to lurk at the forum of a destination I’m just back from and answer the questions as long as I believe my recent experience is relevant enough.

Btw, one of the most interesting solo trips I've done this year was to Lebanon: seen the entire country, been to nearly 100% (sic!) places of interest mentioned in five or so guidebooks that I had, met lots of interesting people from different “circles”… (if I may say so)

But after I was attacked on Lebanon forum for sharing the experience of crossing the Litani River, which was different from the one imposed on the forum, I lost any desire to post a report. If that innocent part of reality caused so much aversion, the rest of my experience was too adventurous to even be believed in…

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

>>> I have seen some of Coras photos for instance, she goes to remarkable places. I would love to know more about the trips.

Thanks Sue :)

With English not being my native language, I find it hard to post trip reports and normally prefer to tell stories rather than write them. But I’m always ready to answer questions about any destination I’ve ever been to! ;)

Btw, if you are interested, I have created some “photo-teasers” (before I finally get down to uploading more images from my ample travels) from some of the countries that I’ve been to earlier this year: Yemen, UAE, Jordan, and Tatarstan (Russia) in particular:

https:/…103015899582956504267

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,852 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Cora....They say that a picture tells a thousand words,and as usual your stunning photo's are stories in themselves!

It's a pity that your Lebanon review was not well received. I think it would have found a more appreciative audience if it had been posted in the Solo forum..... ( very unsubtle hint) I hope it included wine recommendations!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,945 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Cors you're English is excellent. Perhaps because of you're reluctance we could add a photo link with the tirps and suggest people ask for info if they wish to think of visiting these places.

I'm sure stories are good too. I often swap with people - it is the unexpected that creates memories and laughs when you are safely back home.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Indeed... some nice photos Cora! Always a pleasure seeing your posts (and pictures).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
352 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

Okay...seeing all the DE posts here makes me feel that you need input from some random mortal/ fool! So, for what it's worth...(and apologies in advance for the length.)

Solo trip reports: agree this would be helpful. Most people are naturally going to post on the forum for that destination. So you can either try to raise the visibility of this forum, and/or if you see good solo reports on other fora, ask the poster to repost here (or ask if you can copy or link to the original post).

Travel buddies: agree that it is unwise to get into that. It's not really appropriate for people to be on a solo forum shopping for buddies, but it happens, and if someone posts on a destination forum that they're going to X and want a buddy, I don't know that I'd want it removed. But they should have a source for information about how (not) to go about it. Perhaps it would be helpful to have an FAQ article here about travel buddies: what are the risks, what precautions, what should you think about if you insist on finding one, etc.

An FAQ article could address why someone might be looking for a travel buddy: Companionship? Fear? Shared expenses? and point out solo solutions to those concerns.

(To be continued...)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
352 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

(Continued)

Solo vs. Group Travel-- When I tell people I'm going on vacation I often hear "Are you going alone?" And I am not sure myself if they mean will I be totally solo, or in a group but not knowing anyone. I think it's best to keep the definition fluid. For many people, traveling "alone in a group" IS alone, if they've never travelled without friends/ family.

I don't think it's TA's place to list tour operators, but it's helpful if posters give feedback regarding operators/ guides they have used on destination fora (not here). Another issue this forum could address is "when do you go solo vs. join a group, and why?" For me, this is an issue of 1. time constraints, 2. safety, and/or 3. complicated logistics. I usually prefer to follow my own schedule, but if at least 2 of the above issues pertain, I may prefer a group. Even when I travel with a group, I reserve a few days to myself, whether that means a side trip or a extra time to enjoy the destination at my own pace. On occasion I have even left a group tour slightly early to do what *I* want. Tour operators have usually worked with me to make sure I got whatever accomodations the other group members would have received, the airport transfers included in the group deal, arranged an equivalent city tour, etc. (I'm not sure it occurs to people that they can do these things...)

Primers on "How To" plan your solo vacation is an excellent idea. Some folks who have never travelled solo perhaps don't know where to begin.

-n-

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Reconsider FAQ definition of Solo Travel?

nodedet: Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond. Much appreciated.

Get answers to your questions