We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September - short break solo

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
September - short break solo

I'm planning my first solo trip this September with a view to being braver and more adventurous next year. I'm looking for a short break to ease myself in to travelling alone and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good places to consider? Any thoughts, suggestions or advice gratefully received.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,863 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September - short break solo

Hi Jezzy, what sort of things do you like doing? Culture, architecture, arts, walking........

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,882 posts
5,897 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September - short break solo

Hello jezzy100,

Great idea. wise suebovington and others will have some good suggestions for you but we need a bit more information from you. In addition to your interests, it will be helpful if you let us know your budget, how much time you have exactly and how far you are willing to travel during your short solo trip. Alas, confirming where you are based will be beneficial so we offer suggested destinations that are within your travel area of interest.

Look forward to your added input so we can respond.

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: September - short break solo

Hi. I am looking for a bit of a mix really. I wondered about Florence or Venice - I like walking, love art and architecture but also want to people watch whilst have the odd glass of something cold and I have no problem slobbing out with a good book. Sounds as if I want it all - I think really I'm not sure what works best when your travelling alone. Any hints and tips would be lovely. Thanks for replying.

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September - short break solo

Hi. Many thanks for replying. I have about a week and wondered about somewhere in the UK or Venice or Florence but I'm happy to be a bit more adventurous is that works in the time available,. The budget is OK for this trip - I seem to have missed out on travelling recently and so am determined that this is the year I will be brave and do that solo trip. That will give me the impetuous to organize something more adventurous next year. I live in Kent and I like walking, love art and architecture but also want to people watch whilst have the odd glass of something cold and I have no problem slobbing out with a good book. Hope this helps? Many thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,882 posts
5,897 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September - short break solo

That sounds like Paris to me! ;-)

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: September - short break solo

Thx. I suppose I was after somewhere I have not been before - but I'll have a look. On a separate note - is HK safe as a solo travelling woman? I'm off to Sydney for new year but wondering about stopping over in Hong Kong for a couple of days. I notice yr an expert in the area and wondered what your thoughts would be?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,258 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September - short break solo

Hello Jezzy.... has to be Venice! I went in February of this year and loved it. Certainly one of the most unique cities I have been to, safe for solo travellers, loads to do and see, and stopping at cafe's etc is mandatory for people watching. Venice isn't for night owls though, but after a day exploring I was more than happy for a good meal and to collapse into bed. Despite what I had been told, I found the food suprisingly good and plenty of choice of affordable places to eat.

I found the Venice travel forum an excellent source of information ( even down to what wines to order by the glass),and the advice I received certainly helped me to make the most of my time in Venice.

You may also want to consider Prague, Istanbul, Budapest and Barcelona. All very different, but all good for September city breaks and are easy to travel to and around. If you want to stay in an Engilsh speaking destination, then Dublin would also be a good option. This is one of the smallest European cities, and you could comfortably visit Cork as well, or go north to Belfast, where the new Tintanic museum is said to be outstanding.

Madrid is another excellent city destination (especially for food and drinks) with the advantage of fast train travel to Seville/Toledo/Granada and Cordoba.

A few tips, with September city breaks I'd advise you to pack light layers, as the weather is likely to still be very warm, but in Ireland, showers are almost a certainty. Local public travel/museum combination tickets are very good value for money. Many Trip Adviser city guides can be downloaded to smart phones/kindles, but personally I stiil find Dorling Kindersly guides the most useful, especially their pull out and keep pocket maps.

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: September - short break solo

Many thanks. I will check out the Venice forum - I am still only just realizing just how many separate forums there are on TA! I had been wondering if was safe for a loan female traveller (I am sure I shall worry less after I've actually done done my first solo trip). Did you book an organised tour or did you arrange it all yourself separately. I don't mind either way but just wondered if one way worked out better. Thx for your thoughts - much appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: September - short break solo

Meant to ask - did you actually stay in Venice or outside?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,863 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September - short break solo

Just about anywhere could accommodate. The quickest would be the Spanish south coast, Malaga (there are some nice hotels and beaches just outside) up to Granada which has a lot more than the Alhambra.

The most beautiful would be the Amalfi coast. Wine overlooking that fabulouse sea, walking on Capri & lots of history.