We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe cruising- first solo adventure!!!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Europe cruising- first solo adventure!!!

Hey hello!!!

I'll be in Europe later this fall for business trip. I'll be accompanied in Greece for my 3 days conference, and then I have a day's layover in Rome on my way back home.

But I reach Greece earlier and would like to adventure somewhere else before my meetings start, I would have 4 nights and 3 days aprox. I want to see as much possible, but keeping a regular pace (no running around either). Which of the following would you recommend (in parenthesis what I would look up in each city):

Amsterdam (I'd like to go at least to one museum and a ride through the canals)

Rome (Colosseum, Fontana de Trevi, Vatican Museum and St. Peters'-- I don't know if I would be able to see all this during my day of layover)

I originally wanted to go to Turkey, but was adviced otherwise both because it would be my first solo travel and for the political situation. I'm in my early twenties, but have no desire for a party destination.

Do you have any additional ideas as to what would be a nice trip route?? Any suggestions to alternative destinations?

Thanksss!!! :)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe cruising- first solo adventure!!!

Hello ifnats and welcome to the solo forum.

I'm taking a leap of faith here and assuming that you are not looking for a mini cruise in Europe. Please correct me if you are.

Picking a destination for a 3/4day city break largely depends on the season and your own particular interests, and whether you want to stay in the Euro currency countries.

As Athens is a hub airport, you can easily reach most (if not all) of Europe's capitals and major cities. But if you are travelling in the winter, you will need to factor in shorter daylight hours and the potential for flight delays. For such a relatively short visit, I'd suggest taking in just one European destination and enjoying it at a leisurely pace.

I wouldn't dismiss Istanbul, a facinating and beautiful city, easy to travel around, hospitable hosts and excellent cuisine.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,866 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe cruising- first solo adventure!!!

Amsterdam should be possible, I would look up the directions, opening/sailing times in advance and transport to get there. You may have to book the cruise to ensure a place too or check they run when you are going.

Rome sounds a bit packed but you could do 2 days. It's worth asking on the Rome forum how you could best do this. Keep all important documents and money close to you. Pickpockets get into a bag and purse without you knowing so stick them at the bottom under something and keep only what you need for transport/entrance accessible.

These two would probably take 3 days, the 4th for travel between.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe cruising- first solo adventure!!!

I had a great time, ended up in London though. Amsterdam is next on my to do list!!

4. Re: Europe cruising- first solo adventure!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 05:17