We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone else had bad experience with Intrepid?

Brisbane...
4 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone else had bad experience with Intrepid?

Travellers should be aware that Intrepid's policy gives limited refund for changes to itinerary within 56 days of departure - in my case, I received no refund.

I booked my Rome to Paris trip as a single traveller. When my partner subsequently joined the tour, we were told that despite paying the upgrade fee for the second person, there will be no refund for my single supplement (a fee of AUD $720 to guarantee a single room). The policy on refund applies regardless of whether it is an upgrade, a change in the destination or a change in the travel date.

This is extremely unfair. On the one hand Intrepid charges us for two trip fees and a single supplement, on the other hand they keep the cost savings from providing one double room instead of two single rooms.

Intrepid's policy is inconsistent with other travel companies. My friend is travelling with Trafalgar and he got full refund when he changed his Egypt tour last minute. Intrepid may appear cheaper at first, but your trade off is losing the flexibility of amending your booking.

Based on my own horrible personal experience, I am warning all my family, friends and colleagues about the "fine print" and recommend they NEVER use Intrepid.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,902 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone else had bad experience with Intrepid?

Jaka, did you read the Terms and Conditions before you booked? I'm alway emphasising that people should do this even though it's boring.

Quite honestly it is often the case, just like there is an option to share a room with a stranger on some trips to avoid the single supplement but if one can't be found then you pay the SS.

This is the advantage of travelling solo without a company. You book what you need and can amend it.

A brochure/website is there to entice you - just like the beautiful empty beach in the photos of the hotel won't be anything like empty so you should read the business T&C's throughly before you enter into a contract.

Brisbane...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone else had bad experience with Intrepid?

I signed up at the travel expo (held at the Brisbane Convention Centre) so there wasn't really the opportunity to review the T&Cs.

But yes I take your point I will have a careful read of the T&C before I book my next trip - but it will be with another tour company - thats for sure!

3. Re: Has anyone else had bad experience with Intrepid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:20