We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Morocco-Solo

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
First time in Morocco-Solo

Hey there,

I'm a solo Female back packer in the middle of a Euro/Asia Trip, Im headed to Morocco at the end of September. Flying from Barcelona to Tangier I will be there for 10-12 days, was wondering If anyone had advice. I was thinking my trip will be:

Tangier-Fez-Marrakech

And if I have time Essaouira as I love the beach. I would obviously like to visit the desert and do a couple of nights tour. I would love info on where and how long to stay, transportation, safety as a single girl and what tours are best when on a backpacking budget?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,265 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Morocco-Solo

Welcome to TripAdvisor. With your destination already chosen, the advice regarding local destination information is best found on the Destination forum board for Morocco. When you get to this page from a web browser, look up in the top right corner for Top Question - I saw one on female travelers, clothing and safety. Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293730-i9195-Moro…

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Morocco-Solo

I went to Morocco with friends, and would say that it could be rather daunting solo. You'll need to be on your toes, and to be firm with anyone who approaches trying to "help" you as they probably have an ulterior motive. (Ex: a kid who offered directions then became very aggressive for a tip; a young man with whom I exchanged pleasantries in line to pay at a coffee house followed me for 2 DAYS trying to get me to pay him in exchange for, er, services of the personal nature) Dress modestly. That includes wearing tunic style tops that cover your bottom. More than anywhere I've been, Morocco is a place where you need to keep your eyes open.

This isn't to dissuade you from going. We liked Marrakech. We LOVED Fes and Essouria.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 15:54
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,323 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Morocco-Solo

Catlin, if you go to the Morocco forum linked by Bk and put Solo Trip Report into the small search box above the threads you will see what others did and found.

Here is one similar to what you plan. Its informative.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k5…

4. Re: First time in Morocco-Solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:18