We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Amsterdam for biz in Feb. Need ideas for travel locs

austin, tx
3 posts
Save Topic
In Amsterdam for biz in Feb. Need ideas for travel locs

Greetings.

I'm attending a conference in Amsterdam in Feb next year. At that time, I'll be coming up on having to use all of my days off before I lose them at the end of Feb. Therefore, I'm planning on taking an additional 2 weeks off after the conference.

I've read quite a bit on forums that Europe is all but shut down during that time because it's so cold. I'm actually not worried about the cold so much, but I do want to maximize my time off and experiences abroad. I'll be in Amsterdam for a week for the conference, doing day trips out to Bruges and other places, when not working.

After that, I could use my vacay days to:

Buy a Euro rail pass and tour different German and Swiss towns.

Or I could grab a flight to Morocco and maybe go on to Tarifa Spain.

This is really all I've come up with so far. I have only spent time in Paris and Barcelona, so I don't know this region that well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,029 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Amsterdam for biz in Feb. Need ideas for travel locs

I think February is one of the best time for seeing European cities. The hotel prices are lower, internal flights are cheaper, trains less packed and definately fewer crowds. OK... the weather may not be the best, but it is getting slightly spring like, and the days are gradually getting lighter with more sunshine hours!

I went to Venice in February and apart from one day of drizzle, had fantastic weather.

Amsterdam is a "hub" city, so you have the choice of trains or flights to many parts of Europe. It depends on what you want to see and do with your time, but you could easily get to London for a few days, take a cheap internal flight to Dublin, or even Edinburgh, and then return to Amsterdam for another trip to where ever you fancy.

You could go east and take in Vienna, Budapest, Prague or Dubrovnik. Or...... start at the top of Italy and work your way down by train, taking in Venice, Florence, Sienna, Pisa, Rome and Naples.

Spain has an excellent train system and if you fly into Madrid, you can get trains for relatively short travel times to Seville, Granada, Cordoba etc. Barcelona is reachable by train too, but it will take a bit longer.

I really don't mean to confuse you, but you have so many options, perhaps it may help to focus on one or two cities and cover them in depth.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Amsterdam for biz in Feb. Need ideas for travel locs

With 2 weeks, you could fly to Indonesia, or Thailand - or even Kenya/Tanzania. Is that in the realm of consideration, or do you want to stay closer to Europe?

Morocco is a good possibility. However, as a well traveled woman who isn't afraid to go to too many places, Im a little hesitant to go to Morocco alone. Have just had too many friends - including men - harassed.

I like McPinder's idea of Italy. You can immerse in 2-3 cities, or see a lot in 2 weeks. Or, do more of Spain. It will be a little warmer (and lighter longer) in these countries than northern Europe.

suitcaseready.com

austin, tx
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In Amsterdam for biz in Feb. Need ideas for travel locs

Great suggestions! Thanks much.

@evening: I just took my first trip to Thailand, Singapore and Bali for 3 weeks last Christmas and had a blast! That, too, was a solo trip and I really enjoyed. I appreciate the advice for Morocco--I've heard it can be pretty aggressive, so I may skip that.

@mcpinder: I really like the idea of Italy. I've only been to the southern regions and have spent no time in the northern region.

This definitely helps narrow my focus!

4. Re: In Amsterdam for biz in Feb. Need ideas for travel locs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 05:18