We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a beach vacation to keep my sanity

Milwaukee
3 posts
Save Topic
Need a beach vacation to keep my sanity

Hello,

After a rough year and a struggle through some health problems, I would like to treat myself to my first solo vacation. I have off in mid October. Any ideas on beach vacations in the US? I would like to do some shelling, but would prefer to be at a location in which I don't have to rent a car, and could possibly just rely on a hotel shuttle and walking around the destination. I was thinking either somewhere in South Carolina or Florida, but I am open to any suggestions! Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a beach vacation to keep my sanity

First, good for you for realizing you need a break and starting to plan it. As you can imagine, you need to get narrowed down on your destination fairly quickly, because you are less than a month away. I would highly recommend you do a scan of the Beach Travel board here, just to see if there are additional ideas or locations you might come up with....

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12289-Beach_Va…

Offhand, I cannot think of many US places that are so close to an airport that a hotel/resort would have an airport shuttle that would put you right on the beach. For me, it's something like a cab or Super Shuttle - and then getting to the destination.

Some Ideas in SC: Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Kiawah Island - but I don't think these locations are friendly to accessible shuttles. Charleston, SC might work.

For Florida, you might look at Tampa or Clearwater Beach or Daytona Beach.

If you want to think broader, you might also look at San Juan, Puerto Rico and USVI.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,828 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a beach vacation to keep my sanity

October is still hurricane season, but that is more of an issue in the Caribbean than the east coast of the US, although it can be an issue in Florida and up the Atlantic Coast.

One of the best places for shelling is Sanibel and/or Captiva Islands (they are connected by a bridge) off the west coast of Florida. Once you get across the causeway from Fort Meyers you can probably get along with public transport and/or a rented bicycle, but I have usually rented a car to drive there so I'm not too sure about how easy the initial trip is. A taxi might be a possibility, certainly once you were on the islands.

South Seas Plantation on Captiva has a tram on the resort and several restaurants, but there are much less expensive places to stay on Sanibel or even on Captiva.

The islands themselves are very beautiful and the Ding Darling Natural Wildlife Preserve on Sanibel is quite magical with roseate spoonbills perched in the Australian pines like giant pink Christmas baubles.

http://www.fws.gov/dingdarling/

The water in the Gulf of Mexico is much warmer than the Atlantic ocean and I find the atmosphere more relaxed and "Southern" than the east coast, but YMMV.

Edited: 17 September 2013, 21:34
Milwaukee
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a beach vacation to keep my sanity

Thank you both for your suggestions. As you can imagine, I am doing my planning ASAP, as the click is ticking! Thanks again!

4. Re: Need a beach vacation to keep my sanity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:18