We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

I want to travel alone. But i am one of those people who need to hear others experiences first.

How was / is to travel alone?

How is it different than traveling with someone?

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

Personally think:

How was / is to travel alone? Good

How is it different than traveling with someone? You do things by yourself.

There are always so many issues when we want to travel: time, safety, buddy, age, health. To me there's only one reason that makes me do it: I want to.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 18:25
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,047 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

Hello theoandreea and welcome to the solo forum

Every solo traveller has their own style, purpose and experience of travelling, whether they are backpacking in the wild blue younder, or culture vultures seeking exciting cities.

The right hand side of this page has some "Questions about Solo Travel" and one of the items listed includes a topic called Trip Reports- Going Solo. It is a series of reports by other solo travellers about their experiences and makes good reading.

Also, if you scroll through the pages on the forum, you'll see many posts from other travellers asking some of the questions you have raised. The various replies reflect the views, good and bad, of both experienced and potential new travellers. Hope this helps.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

Well, for example, I want to go and see or do certain things which none of my friends agree on. I want to do it this year and they don't. So I get to walk round galleries at my own pace, have coffee or meal where and when I want to. I have the whole time to fill with the things I want to see.

I like art, history, walking and can spend a whole holiday in the sea with coral reefs. I go to destinations because there is something I want to see or experience. My friends don't share any of these interests.

I can enjoy my own company and always find someone to chat to.

When I holiday with someone it is always compromise for both or us, a lot of discussion and neither gets what they really want.

Alone, I find people are really helpful and considerate. I also get to meet more new people whereas when I travel with someone I seldom get to know someone new.

As Mcp says, look down the threads and have a read of the Trip Reports on the top right of the page.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

I think traveling solo is a the best way to travel. I only started to a few years ago and do so a couple of times a year now. You can do what you want when you want to do it. I find it easier to meet people when you are alone.

When traveling solo though I always do a lot of research for the places I am visiting. I don't want to wind up in a place with all families and couples. So the places I do find have some couples but also solo travelers like myself or groups of friends who are single traveling together. I found all inclusive resorts to be the easiest in traveling solo and meeting others.

When I first traveled solo I thought I would be the only one doing so. I found out there are plenty of people that do. I would recommend reading reviews of resorts on this site of places you want to visit. I always click on the solo reviews when on a resorts page to see what other solo travelers have to say about the place. Usually someone will say if it is good for the solo traveler or not.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

Good advice GMB, but strangely I find large hotels the hardest. I prefer to go visiting places, walking round and having coffee out.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

I very much agree with #3.

Traveling solo you also avoid those small annoyances like listening to

Traveling solo you also won't have to wait for the next bus/minibus/etc. when they have only seat free. In South East Asia motorbike taxis are sometimes only handy transportation and they definitely do not seat more than one Westerner.

A drawback of traveling solo is that it is hard to to swimming on a beach, since you cannot necessarily find anyone to guard your gear. On the other hand, it is awkward also with a single companion since taking strict turns in the water is pretty confining, too.

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

That's one I hadn't remembered Goodsoil. I've been looking this year for a truely waterproof pack to go round my waist.

In this part of my country you can leave your bag on the beach for hours, no problem though I don't leave a purse in it and hide enough change for an ice cream or coffee. Always leave the bag in plain sight.

In other parts of the world it's a problem.

You can get walking shoes with a pocket hidden in the 'tounge' which will take a small amount. That could work. Though they'd look a bit silly with a sarong ;-)

Aalborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

was it hard to go solo for the first time?

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
943 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

When I started to travel solo it was mostly for business.

I have to say that at the beginning I did not enjoyed so much to travel solo, as eating alone was not my favorite experience. But I was wrong, with time I'm enjoying more and more to travel solo, to organize my time as I want to, in a way to be free. Now I think it's a great opportunity to chat with people, and eventually sometimes to make new friends.

Until now I did not have any safety issues (but I choose carefully , and I'm trying to avoid any "unsafe destinations").

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can someone tell me how is it to travel solo?

Disadvantages:

1) Luggage moving and watching. No help getting it on and off trains with high steps, or watching it on the train when you need to go to the loo. Watching it when you have it with you and need to change money, buy tickets, etc.

2) Sometimes no one to share dinner conversation with.

3) Paying more for accommodation.

Advantages:

1) Many of these have already been listed. Doing what you want to do when and how you want to do it is a really BIG one.

2) No need to compromise over the day's (or week's) activities or choice of restaurant, etc.

3) No getting irritated at your travel companion's personal quirks and vice versa.

4) A general feeling of freedom.

5) Not having to keep tabs on your companion so you don't get separated.

6) Others that I am not thinking of at the moment.

I mainly travel solo, but sometimes with a friend. The solo trips are always more relaxing.