We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro/asia trip 2 months

Peterlee, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Euro/asia trip 2 months

Hi everyone,

I'm off travelling in January from GB across cental and eastern europe (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Czech republic, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia) by train visiting the main cities of each country. Then after a few days in St Pete and Moscow I board the Trans siberian all the way to Beijing stopping off at various places along the way (Yekaterinburg, Irkutsk, Lake Baikal, Ulan Ude, Ulaan Baatar). Then after a few days in Beijing I have 12 days travelling from the South of Japan up to Tokyo.

Obviously I'm extremely excited for going away but in equal measure I'm also very Nervous travelling on my own in the middle of winter.

I'm 34 year old and consider myself to fairly confident and able to meet new people but there is a large element of the unknown because I am not an experienced traveller. I dont really have any specific question but I suppose all i was really wondering was whether anyone else had done something similar and could offer any advice?

I have hotels booked along the way and all my trains/buses/ferries and flights are pretty much organised already. As i'm not staying in hostels do you think I will still find it easy to meet people? Obviously it may be a bit difficult further on in my journey where there will be a significant language barrier, especially on the trans siberian train.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Thank you in advance

Martin

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,939 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro/asia trip 2 months

Martin do you have any hobbies/interests where you might pop into a club or something. I know people, me included, who email a club ie photography, dance and ask to join for a session. It's interesting because it usually has a different take on things. Or a sport, going to a football/tennis match that sort of thing.

Eating outside or in markets I find makes people more inclined to chat.

I've never managed to meet people in hotels but out and about yes.

Peterlee, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro/asia trip 2 months

Hi Sue, I have filled some of my time up with private guided tours.And I guess the because its very cold I will be popping in and out of restaurants and bars and perhaps this will be a good time to meet people.

I'm also very interested in music and theater so I'm doing my best to find whats on when i'm in each city

3. Re: Euro/asia trip 2 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:21