We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
5 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

I plan to go alone, is it safe, anyone else gone solo?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,889 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

Patty, this is a specific destination. You would get better answers on the Shanghai forum.

You can also search that forum for Solo Trip Reports from other travellers. You just put those words into the small search box above the Shanghai forum threads. There may be a Top Question about it too

It is dependant on what you do there and how you behave/dress as well as which areas you visit and how you travel. Do some research on that as the first thing.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

SH is very a big city. Tons of people go there everyday and many are solo. As long as you have common sense, it is safe.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

I lived in China for a year and a half as a woman by myself. China is perfectly safe in my opinion. For comparison, Jamaica and Egypt are places I would not consider perfectly safe. To tell you the truth, if you venture out of the city into the smaller towns at all, the people there will probably be more wary of you than you are of them. Avoid any situation you wouldn't let yourself get into in any big city like New York or London. Many people will approach you in China if you look Western because the west is romanticized by the media there and most of them will want to try to speak English with you. If you try to learn a little Mandarin, that goes a long way in endearing people to you and once you have made friends with people, they are liable to want to look out for you. Take care to dress more modestly than you normally would, American TV conditions other cultures to view western women more sexually. Play the part of a poor student, that is what I always did in a strange city. Try to approach elderly people, women, or students if you need help. Taxi drivers are safe, public transportation is safe, and the Chinese population is on a whole more well-mannered than Americans.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 16:41
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
502 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

If you are a blonde you will have to put up with a lot of chinese men wanting to take a photograph with you.

5. Re: Any tips for solo woman traveling to Shanghai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:20