We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

London, England...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Hello!

I'm a 24 yo female and I have decided I want to travel this xmas, only for a few days from either Christmas day or Boxing day until New Years day. I'll be leaving from any airport in London, but I have no idea where to go! Ideally somewhere that's not too family oriented. My budget's is around £400.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any destination ideas/tips or any wisdom you'd like to impart for a first time solo traveller :)

Thanks!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Krakow? inyourpocket.com/poland/krakow/Christmas-in-…

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,444 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Temi this late and on a very low budget for Christmas you may have to see where you can get accommodation/flights to. That should limit the choice of places if you are looking to go abroad.

Then look into what you can do on the day that appeals.

You need to start searching flights and see what money you have left for the hotel or hostel. You are looking at peak season, school holidays.

One thing in your favour is that being near airports you may be able to bag a bargain that returns on NYD. Not everyone can do onward travel then.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Any major city that you can reach on a flight(as per the advice above) will have plenty of single people and not just families. Let us know what you find in terms of flights and where you decide to go.

Honolulu, Hawaii
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Take a train to Paris where the Christmas lights will be beautiful. Use bedycasa to find affordable B&B, staying just outside of the city too like in Vincennes will be much cheaper. Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

it's cheaper to travel on Christmas Day itself and return on NY Day, ie the 1st. Do consider https://www.airbnb.co.uk and the like to book a room and stay with someone or take the whole place to yourself, I sometimes choose room only option if you want company and you can read up on the owners. They are normally cheaper than any hotels and often hostels. For example, I am traveling Boxing Day to 30th and staying in Budapest in one of these for €28.Personally, if you are travelling Christmas Day, I would stay away from strong Catholic countries (eg Spain, especially interior Spain), Poland and even to lesser extent Italy, as due to religious considerations etc things are dead and most things are closed. New Years Eve is a different thing, I had spent one in Krakow and it was awesome. Real party atmosphere in the centre of town, looking beautiful, people running with champagne bottles, cool music, and most bars near the main square open till the next morning :) Would be able to give you more ideas on destination once we know your preferences.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Don't forget that if you fly on Christmas Day there is no public transport to get you to the airport. That cheap flight won't be cheap if you need to take a taxi with the Christmas surcharge...

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Welcome to the Solo Forum Temi!

You do know don't you that there is little or no public transport on Christmas Day in London and mini-cabs charge more on that day, so booking a flight on the 25th is likely to dent your budget more than any savings from flying on the 25th. Boxing Day is a much better bet.

This Christmas period trains to Gatwick are running the long way around due to engineering work on the tracks and parts of the tube network will be out as well, so it is better to fly from Heathrow or Stansted. I'm not sure about getting to Luton. I booked a Gatwick flight for the 28th December 2013 before I found out about the trains, which just shows you should check transport first!

Edited: 25 November 2013, 11:11
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,723 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Temi.... British Airways have a short sale on at the moment, for Christmas Market holidays ( some of which go on till early January) and short holidays in some European cities. The price includes flights as well as accommodation. As BA is a scheduled airline, they have slightly more flights available than LCC's.

But.... public transport to get you to a London airport may be problem, please see www.tfl.gov.uk for public transport options and information.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
155 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

Good post. Maybe I'll go to Paris for Christmas. That would be amazing!

I know this isn't the place to post, but I'm lost. I want to travel a bit in the US, but don't want to drive. Been told Amtrak has way too many stops and busses are ... not great. Any ideas or point me to the right forum? Thanks fellow TA'ers!

Michelle

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Time Solo - Christmas 2013 Europe

kaemicha,

If you are travelling on your own, this is the right forum (possibly among others) to post on but you would be best to start a new question as you are not talking about Europe at Christmas.

Someone posted on this forum some time ago about a fantastic trip by train from, I think, Chicago down through Memphis and possibly beyond. I also noticed when I was in DC that you can take a train from Boston to Miami through DC, which looked interesting.

California to Chicago (or just down the California coast) would be fun.

There is a train travel forum that may answer some of your questions:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_…

i think you are right about buses, but I could be out of date about that.

The fantastic Man in Seat 61 website includes train travel in the US (as well as just about every place else) and is both trustworthy and authoritative.

www.seat61.com/UnitedStates.htm#.UpUbo8S3MxM

Get answers to your questions