We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

Howdy gang,

I'm looking for advice on my next trip. I'm a solo traveler and history geek. I'm trying to plan my next trip, and I'm torn between soooo many choices! So, I'm looking for advice.

Here are my "requirements":

1) I can get around w English and the local language I study before I go.

2) world history Mecca. I'm as much interested in WWI history as I am the Silk Road or Fuedal Japan.

3) I can "make a home" for my week to two week trip. I love settling into a city. Day trips or overnights are great. But I like having a "home"

4) London and Dublin have been checked off of the list.

Other than that, I'm open! Convince me, wow me, or brow beat me...where should I go next?!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,617 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

Airfare and hotel budget? It sounds like you are more excited about Asia than Western or Eastern Europe?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

Really need some more informaton Greasefire.

Not here to convince you of anything, but I can advise or give suggestions if I know more about how long, how much, climate, method of travelm, time of year.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 17:58
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

We do need more information but on what you have said so far, you might want to consider Japan.

Your base would depend on what period/part of Japanese history you found most interesting (i.e. early European contact-Nagasaki, Meiji restoration-Hagi,), what time of year you wanted to go and whether you wanted to base yourself in a large city full of temples and shrines like Kyoto or a modern city like Osaka. or on the west coast (Kanawaza?) There are a myriad of choices.

Japan is best in the Spring or Autumn, The winter is fine if you like snow. The summers are hot and humid (although not as bad on the more northern islands of Tohoku or Hokaido (Tohoku in particular has some very interesting connections to Samurai history) and the summer does have some fantastic festivals.

April and May are fantastic times to go, but avoid Golden week (the very end of April and very beginning of May) when all of Japan goes on holiday, usually in Japan.

The rail and bus networks in Japan are such that getting around on day trips is easy, the signs in the rail and bus stations are in English as are the descriptive signs at various historical sigts, and with a bit of very basic Japanese you would be fine.

For more information and terrific advice, have a look at www.insidejapantours.com/japanese-culture/

in particular the interactive map on the right hand side.

For something a bit less adventurous, you might consider a look at Moorish Spain with a base in one of the Andalusian cities (Granada? Seville? Cadiz?) and trips around the area. Only the summer would be less than pleasant.

But the questions you have already been asked are essential for a proper answer.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

Italy would also be particularly good. Pick a period and shape your trip around it.

My favourite is the early middle ages and my favourite city is Florence, but of course Rome is another possibility or Venice.

Trains and buses are easy, an American accent is sometimes considered "cute" in Italian, it is fairly easy to pronounce and there are enough cognates with English to make the language easier to learn on a basic level than some other languages.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

As a self-proclaimed omnivorous history geek myself, I would suggest looking at Normandy for a varied and exciting place to explore. With a rented car, there are so many amazing places.

You have the D-Day beaches from WWII, the Pegasus Bridge made famous in the movie The Longest Day, there are historical cities aplenty (eg. Caen where William the Conquerer lived and built castles and monasteries), Claude Monet's garden where he painted all those stunning water lilies, the Bayeaux tapestry, the Belle Epoque beach resorts of Deauville, Trouville and Cabourg (Balbec to Marcel Proust).

Don't miss out on the food, the cheese (the village Camembert is here), the cider or the calvados.

Within easy driving distance you also have all the history and culture of Paris and the battlefields from WWI (Verdun is particularly haunting where you can still see barbed wire and leather straps sticking out in the soil among still-present trenches and bunkers torn apart by grenade craters. One million men died within a couple of square miles in this place.

If you also want a home, I highly recommend staying in one of the many amazing historical castles in the area now opened as B&S's.

And much more...

I would fly into Paris, stay a few days, rent a car and do the rest as day trips from a nice central location.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

My suggestions - based purely on my own historical interests - would be the territory of what was the Empire of Austria-Hungary. Stretching from the Western Balkans to Central Europe, you'll find a unique blend of Slavic, Magyar and Germanic culture and architecture as well as an uncountable number of sites of historical interest. Travel between the three major cities of the old empire (Vienna, Budapest and Prague) is simple and cheap and plenty of other cities and towns are bound to grab your interest (Sarajevo and Ljubljana are particular favourites of mine).

Somewhere to consider if you are interested in events of world importance such as Siege of Vienna, the assisnation of Archduke Franz-Ferdinand and plenty of others in-between.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 14:59
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

Greasefire... travellers here could go on making suggestions, but it would help to know if anything so far has interested you.or not. .

8. Re: Next adventure? Looking for suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2014, 05:17