We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks of solo travel

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
3 weeks of solo travel

Hi

I have a three weeks break in my shcedule it is between 13/12/2013 and 3/1/2014 and i would like to make the most out of it.

i am now based in london

i would like to travel to scenries places as i am a photograpger and would like to talk gorgous photographs

i would like to get recomendations as its winter time. i'd be happy to backpack throught the alps but i think this time of year its too cold to enjoy it.

i am open to any recomendations.

i will mostly be traveling alone

my budget is around 5000$

i would like to see mountais or beaches just a place of space

i am 24 yrs old

thank you for looking to my post

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

Your post is rather vague. First, you say scenery and include mountains, but then ask if it will be too cold. In my mind, if you are asking, then it will be too cold. Maybe start with a continent of interest and narrow it down to a few countries, then a single country..... One can find "scenery" just about anywhere..

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

Are you looking for natural scenery only? Or also city scenery?

I doubt that March is going to be good for backpacking except in the southern part of Europe.

I'd suggest a few somewhat out of the way places (as compared to places like Paris, Rome, Switzerland, etc.)

Incidentally, your budget will go a lot farther in parts of Central Europe (Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and the Balkans) than in Germany, Austria, France, etc.

For some spectacular mountain scenery, consider the High Tatras in Slovakia. Try staying in Kosice or Poprad. The Croatian coastline has wonderful views and beaches, I'm told. Budapest is unique in my opinion with respect to natural scenery. The Danube (which is huge at that point) runs between Buda and Pest with multiple beautiful (and very different) bridges across it. Pest is flat as a pancake and Pest is very hilly. The best views are from the top of Gellert Hill in Buda. You can see about six of the bridges from there, and look west to more hills, or to the east to the flatness of Pest and beyond. I don't know if the bridges will still be lit up by night in March, but the Castle and Parliament certainly will be, so a visit after dark as well as one by day would be worth your while. East of Budapest one encounters the Hungarian plain, which is reminiscent of the huge flat spaces of Montana in the US.

I take an annual 3 week trip trip to this area most years from the US, Including even the airfare from the US , this year's trip (which, alas , I didn't get to take) would have cost about $3200, staying in very nice hotels.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,863 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

Scotland. Somerset moors & coastline, Cornwall. All wonderful for photography in the winter.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,501 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

Khaled, you have posted the same question twice. It would be helpful if you deleted your other post, that way other travellers here can just concentrate on one thread.

You have given your budget in $. Do you mean US $'s?

As you have 3 weeks, do you want a warm long haul trip,( Hawaii/Bali/St Lucia... all of which have stunning mountain and beach scenery) or a multi destination trip, particularly within Europe? If within Europe, you may experience travel delays due to poor weather. Do you want a self drive trip, or do you want to fly/take trains etc?

From your own research or past trips, are there places that you don't want to include in this trip?

With a little bit more information from you, posters here will be better able to make relevant suggestions.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

What do you like to photograph? You budget might be enough for a trip to the Galapagos or to parts of Africa, depending on your interests.

Japan in winter is very beautiful and the cranes are dancing then in Hokkaido.

In normal times Airfares seem to run about £600-£700 for a 10-11 hour flight, which will get you a long way, but the Christmas period is not normal times so you may need to work a bit harder to make your ambitions fit your budget.

You have put your dates the European way around (assuming that you are travelling in December/January) so I am hoping that you mean £5,000 rather than US $5,000.

But for warmth, rain forests, Mayan temples, beaches and scuba diving, have a look at Belize. December is high season in the Caribbean (as it is in most places) but the weather should be good and the country has a wonderful variety of sights. The location is Central American, but the culture is more Caribbean than its Hispanic neighbours and the main language is English.

Calgary
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

If you are looking for "one stop shopping" with respect to seeing it all in a relatively short time frame then I recommend Ecuador. As they say there

-"breakfast on the beach, lunch in the mountains and dinner in the amazons".

Oh, there is this tiny area slightly spectacular called Galapagos, already mentioned. There are over 100 types of hummingbirds alone in Ec.

And you will be shocked at the low cost to eat and stay.

Just my thoughts

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

Based on the original post, the OP's trip has aleady begun....

8. Re: 3 weeks of solo travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:16