We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

Hello, All:

My first post here! I'd appreciate guidance to plan my first solo trip...my first trip post-graduation and getting full-time work in my field.

My main goal is to RELAX in the sun, either a beach or pool in the sun to get me through the rest of the winter (4-5 days around late February 2014). I live closer to the West Coast so I would prefer to stay on that side of the country but I'm open.

How can I achieve this creatively and relatively cheaply? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your ideas.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

For sun, beach, and quiet, I'd take a look at Mexico. Maybe Riviera Maya or possibly Isla Mujeres or Tulum areas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

Actually, from the west coast, I'd look at Hawaii and the Pacific Coast of Mexico (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta). What's your budget? Do you prefer beaches with lots going on (parties, bars, shopping), or super quiet places where you can escape and read?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,274 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

I think that Hawaii will be more expensive than Mexico but those are the 2 places I'd look.

I 2nd the idea of Isla Mujeres. You fly into Cancun and then take a ferry to the island which is just lovely and laid back!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

Super quiet to read. Cabo was suggested to me and it looks quite promising.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

Sure, then go to Cabo. I've been to Cabo and also to the Gulf side where Cancun is located. Two very different areas, but if Cabo looks good to you and meets your needs, then definitely go for it.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
82 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

Check out Zihuatanejo, West Coast, International Airport . I love it there and have been going since 1997. Playa la Ropa is where I prefer to stay. Gorgeous beach, plenty of places to eat. Cheap taxi to town or you can walk. People are very friendly, I have made some really good friends that I am in contact with or see on repeat visits.

Perfect spot to chill out. Many wonderful places in town to eat at as well. Sunday night is especially a fun night to go into town to the basketball court and see all the families and usually some type of entertainment and food stalls set up.

It is definitely NOT a big party place like Cancun or Cabo which Is what I like.

Happy planning.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

I agree..Zihua is a great place to visit...laid back...quieter...and great culture and people..I spent a wk there last yr...was an awesome trip..

8. Re: First Solo Vacation (sun, beach & quiet on a budget)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 07:18