We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

Hi Everyone, I am a 30 y/o Australian girl looking to travel solo next year around July 2014 for about a couple of months. I have a friend & family based in UK and Germany so definitely would like to see them for maybe a couple of weeks max each and the rest of the trip I would love to do a tour.

I have been doing some quick research and found (also recommended by friend of friend) Topdeck tours to do All Rounder European trips but not sure which one I should go with??

Being 30 I wouldn't like the sound of Contiki tours (most of my friends have done this in our early 20's and it would suit me these days!) but I would hate to be stuck with the "oldies". Would love the balance between sightseeing and some fun times - is that asking a bit too much?

Would love to hear any tips and also any suggestions whether I should go to the UK first and spend the 2 weeks then do the 28 day tour then spend time in Germany for the last 2 weeks OR do I get the tour out of the way first. I wouldn't know where to start!

Thank you in advance for your responses :-)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,240 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

Jess... seeing as you will have such a long flight to Europe, it makes sense to fly in, get over the journey and be pampered by your family before launching off on your travels again.

As for organised tours within Europe, you get what you pay for.... which is basically handing control of your trip to a commercial company, following their intinerary, possibly staying in accommodation which is not city centre (saves on costs but could also mean longer travel times/early starts) while hoping your travelling companions are fun to travel with.

If you were planning a wine tasting/art appreciation/photographer/mountain climbing ...etc special interest group travel,you know you would be travelling with like minded company. A 28 day organised tour could be wonderful... or it may not!

Had you considered booking your own trip? That way you could get to see the places that really interested you, doing the things you wanted to do, and perhaps meeting other people along the way. It may even work out cheaper than going on an organised tour.

Most European cities and regions have day/night/special interest tours. These are a sort of compromise in that you still have company, but you book for what specifically appeals to you, and with a local guide or host too. .

Of course, this is your holiday, not mine, so it's really your choice. If you are wavering on a solo trip around Europe, many travellers here would be happy to offer advice on destinations they've been to, and possibly recommendations too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

Hi There thanks for the info and advice. The only concern I have by booking 'unknown' tours is safety, even though I am aware I'll be meeting people, they will still be strangers (to begin with). But anyway I am hoping by the time I land in the UK I should be 'familiar' with the travelling gig and will be more comfortable. But certainly I will be booking my tours from abroad not home.

Any suggestions on what to bring? Luggage or super huge backpack?

I'm honestly not bothered with what to see, I have no preference/special interest as such, I'm fairly fit and wouldn't mind doing a lot of walking, sight seeing but I think I will be dying to have a bit of nightlife and fun once in a while! I'm actually thinking of avoiding travel books as I will be way too keen to get everything seen and it will probably stress me out to get things done. Am trying to go with the flow but is that recommended or are seasoned travellers actually PLAN their holidays?

Thanks again!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

I am currently in my hometown, Delphi Greece and I am always disapointed on visitors arriving as part of a rushed tour, visiting ancient sites and museums for a couple of hours, have a mediocre meal in a touristy restaurant, then move on. I am even disappointed to people who arrive on a car hire, spend the odd overnight and have to rush elsewhere because they never bothered to check what else the area has to offer, or they discovered some of the area's charms but have prebook next hotel and/or have to follow their pre=planned fast paced schedule.

I find arriving in a train station in foreign city scratching your head as to where to go/what to do next a huge waste of time. On the other hand, researching and plan in advance every day and every little detail is taking away the exitement and leaves no space for an unexpected experience or last minute change. I usually choose a country and spend 3-4 weeks at a time. I read a couple of guidebooks and check internet sites and decide what is of interest for me. I check on potential hazards and scams, I definately check carefully options for accomodation, rates, transportation and background info for local culture and sites so I do not have unpleasant surprises and I do not spend precious time on the spot for trivia such as how to get from airport to down town or how to avoid queues on local museum that is high on my list. I usually prebook first couple of days upon arrival and take it from there. Many people arriva somewhere and just look for a room on the spot. Sometimes I do this, usually I narrow it down before hand on 3-4 options and book a couple of days in advance while on the previous destinations. Sometimes due to travel logistics or mood I might join a day tour here and there. But I would never consider a long organised tour. Highlights of my trips are always taking my time to walk and walk around and absoarb the ambiance and interacting with local people in a park or bar or a bus stop. The bubble of a tour rarely allows that. Plus I love flexibility to see and do what I want when I want on the pace I want. lol

I am not sure I get your safety comment. What exactly troyubles you? If you use common sense and take normal precautions, you'l be fine.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,791 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

Jess, I'm not sure about why you are worried about safety on a tour. You will be very protected and you don't often get scammers paying to go on tours.

You do the same abroad as you do at home. When you get on a bus or go in a cafe at home you may not realise it but everyone looks around and checks who's there. You just do the same thing away, in a city a bit more throughly.

Luggage if you are going on tours they may specify as what is best for the transport you are using. I would have thought a backpack if you are used to it would cover all bases. It's also useful to have your hands free when getting on and off buses or tube. Otherwise you will manage with a case.

Planning it would be wise to print off a street map with the major attractions marked on it otherwise you will loose a lot of time wandering around long distances. London is huge, old, sprawling and busy. Nothing like Perth. Find out about transport.

Most of all check the local scams and pickpocket areas for every place you are going. You'll find this on most forums. Plan to keep your money safe. Spread it round your person. Keep only enough for fares somewhere easy to get at.

5. Re: HELP! 30 year old Female doing solo Euro tour 2014.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions