We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian tourist travelling solo to Boston

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Australian tourist travelling solo to Boston

Hi everyone,

In two days I'll be arriving at Boston by myself. I come from Australia. Anyway, part of me going solo on this trip was to leave everything behind and just meet different people. I've already been to NYC and I loved it there, although it was a bit too dense. So, how can I meet people at Boston? I am under 21 years of age (20), so I guess bars are out of the equation. How can I approach people in Boston without coming across as weird? I really would like to meet new people, and I heard Boston has some rather articulate and academic people.

Any spots you would recommend? Also, if anyone on this forum is interested in meeting up and showing me around, we can talk some more and take it from there! I will be staying in central Boston, near Union Square and stuff.

Thanks!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian tourist travelling solo to Boston

Matt volunteering yourself to a stranger in a foreign land is not the best idea. If you really want meet ups plan beforehand and use one of the sites from the Travel Buddy thread and get to know people first. You could find yourself with money/documents/gadgets stolen at the drop of a hat.

Do you have any hobbies? Finding clubs for those, or footie matches etc give you something in common with the people you are with so a means to chat. Not sure if it's warm enough but sitting outside with coffee etc people tend to chat when they wouldn't inside.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian tourist travelling solo to Boston

Matt..... Boston is a wonderful city, epecially at this time of year.The area around Boston Common has loads of activities laid on, and the Clam Chowder is not to be missed!

It's much smaller than New York, and the scale is more "human". There are very good train links to get you to Harvard, which is worth a trip out. Boston bars are more like pubs, and some serve food too.

I'd agree with Sue, in having a look at the Boston travel forum, and asking questions in the forum about current activities, prices, possibility of late night museum openings and musical events.

As for meeting people... this is the holiday season, so there will be more going on than usual, but joining an organised walking or micro brewery tour would be a good start. There is a "self guided" walk you could follow. You can start at Boston Common and just follow the path of the big red line painted on the pavement.

Your accent will certainly open doors for you, and I found the good people of Boston to be polite, congenial and welcoming hosts... so if you get lost, or need advice, don't hesitate to ask a local.

Lastly..... it will be very cold, so I'd strongly recommend layers, a hat and gloves. If your current clothes aren't warm enough, don't worry too much as the shopping is fantastic.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 18:39
3. Re: Australian tourist travelling solo to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16