We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

Hi, I'm beginning to think about planning a solo trip to Asia at the end of next year. I'm not sure where to start, as I've never travelled alone before. I am a girl in my mid 20s and hoping to meet people to travel with when I'm out there. Does anyone have any advice about where to stay, volunteering with animals and what countries to go to? Thanks.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,945 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

Hi Linz, volunteering with animals for free is hard to come by. All the ones I've looked at require a fee, not small, becuase there are so many who want to do that.

Volunteering on the whole is usually for things that the locals can't be employed for so working with children where extra hands are always useful and particularly teaching English.

That's not to say they're not out there. Try posting your request for that aspect on the forum for the area you are going to where there are more likely people with a lot of local knowledge.

It would be worth doing a search there in the small box above the threads for Solo Trip Reports so that you target the area you want.

There are some opportunities volunteering with animals in Egypt or outlying spots elsewhere though I wouldn't recommend that until you have a little more experience with travelling. It can be harrowing too.

for your first time travel make sure you prepare and research where you are going throughly first. I will give you the confidence that you know where you are going and what you are doing so you only have the cultural difference to deal with.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

This organization has volunteering opportunities all over the world:

www.earthwatch.org

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,945 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

I tried the site Susie and the search function didn't work well. There are none in Asia. The ones that did require at least £2,400 which includes insurance but not sure what else. It's hard to find your way around.

It did remind me that a friend used to go with a zoo. They sometimes have expeditions but you have to go where they go and study what they study. A bit like this.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

Did you see this one?

Thinking Like an Elephant in Thailand

I have no idea what 2,500 pounds are, but food and a room are included in the price.

5. Re: Solo travelling/ volunteering, need inspiration...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions