We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler-6 Months in South America

Houston, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo female traveler-6 Months in South America

Hi! this is my first time posting in one of these. This summer (around July 2014) I will be in between jobs with a good amount of money I've been saving up for that time. I'm thinking I want to spend 6 months traveling South America. Two years ago I stayed in Central Chile for 3 months and visited a few countries in the South but only for a very short amount of time. I originally went for an internship, but I want to go back and do it traveling style, and see all the things I never saw when I first went. However, I don't have any friends that would be able to tag along so I would be doing this solo. As a solo female traveler, do you think it could still be relatively safe? I think I'd like to start my trip in Costa Rica... Has anyone ever traveled South from Costa Rica? and if so, was the travel mostly by buses or did you take any flights to the next destinations? I read something about how Costa Rica requires you have a return ticket to have proof you will be leaving the country (no one-way tickets) so I would need to sort out the next destination very soon. Do you think a trip from Costa Rica to Patagonia (Chile/Argentina) would be doable in 6 months? I'm very open to destinations. I don't really have a huge desire to hit up the mega cities of Brazil though... I would love advice! Thanks!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,001 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler-6 Months in South America

Hi Jessa, wow that is a lot of questions in one post. First I think it would be a great thing to do. I found myself between jobs at one time and went to Australia for a couple of months. Definitely worth it because the opportunity seldom comes along.

Certainly Costa Rica first and you will need an onward ticket. There is probably some way of doing this if you want to keep your options open. There is something called an open jaw ticket on airlines. Not sure how much more this costs. But you will need some proof of moving on.

Asking on the Costa Rica forum might get you some answers to start you off. Type Costa Rica forum into the big search box top right of the page and click on the picture link that comes up.

You can also look for Solo Trip Reports on that forum by typing just that into the little search box above the threads.

Sorry I can't help more but its a big adventure and a lot of travel. Be sure to stay safe by researching where not to go in town and country, making sure you are insured and have all the right jabs and medicines.

I did find this tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294266-c178784/Argen… which gives info on the right hand side about all sorts you will need.

Houston, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler-6 Months in South America

Thank you very much!! Haha and I know, I do have a lot of questions! I should definitely look at forums that are specific to certain destinations. Thanks again for your info!

3. Re: Solo female traveler-6 Months in South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:17