We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Hi everyone! I'm just about to book my first solo vacation and need your help!

I'm deciding between Costa Rica and Ireland - while the beaches and nature look amazing in Costa Rica for some reason I feel drawn to Ireland. I'm a 31 year old active Canadian woman, and it's my first vacation without my ex or friends and so I really want to find a place where it will be easy to meet people (who aren't necessarily on romantic vacations!) and where I won't be short on things to do or things to see.

What I was wondering is if you think Ireland would be a good place to do this - even though it's not the summer months! I'm thinking of flying into Dublin and staying there for a few days, renting a car and touring around for the middle portion of the trip, and then heading back to Dublin for the last night or two.

I wouldn't mind some day tours but I don't necessarily need to plan everything ahead of time - I don't mind spontanaeity.

From a social and weather perspective what do you think? I'm a bit worried about the 'lonely' factor while travelling and so if I can find a place with friendly and extroverted travellers and locals, that's ideal!

Also, do you think it would make much difference weather wise travelling between mid-March and early April? I'd love to do a lot of walking and see the beautiful green I've heard so much about!

Thanks in advance!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Rachel... Ireland is a wonderful destination for solo travellers, especially if you're there for St Patricks Day (March 17th)...Kinsale is the food capital of Ireland, and the Ring of Kerry is beautiful, what ever the weather. There are fabulous beaches in Ireland, particularly on the east coast going south of Dublin,( Rosslare Strand has sugar fine sand) and around the Dingle coast. Sadly.... the weather is likely to be 40 kinds of rain!

Some of the best places to stay in are bed & breakfasts, and although the smoking ban has had an impact on pubs, they are still the social hub of many towns and villages.... and people do love to chat.

I have no doubt at all that you'll have a great time.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,512 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Dublin is a great place to consider for a solo trip. I'm sure you will have no issues socially. Weather is weather.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

I always have a reverse thinking than most people about weather issues on Ireland.... Many people advice summer for nice weather, but I don't get it... You may experience all kind of weather conditions in a few hours on Ireland, even on summer...Usually you can't avoid a quick rain even then, I've yet to meet someone choosing Ireland for its weather... so I find this a non-issue for winter or spring travel either. Day light hours or sites' timetables are a different matter, but you'll face no such issues on March/April anyway (shops,restaurants etc might be closed around Easter Sunday though- 20 April on 2014).

I love Ireland. People are absolutely social and welcoming.If for whatever reason you feel drawn to it, then simply go for it!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,038 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Ireland is an easy place to travel. It's probably going to be wet with 'April Showers' being part of a childrens chant but it will be mild, Spring is underway with the wild flowers coming out and it won't be crowded so if you want to walk the hills or beaches you will be able to feel the atmosphere without the hoards. Not that that happens so much in Ireland.

There are some lovely beaches and dolphin/whales etc. as well as the hills and history.

irelands-hidden-gems.com/irelands-best-beach…

There are some walking festivals which should be a good way to meet people

discoverireland.ie/Things-To-Do/Ideas-for-ac…

Another way to meet people is festivals www.findfestival.com/ireland/2014/april/

So much to see and do there.

Costa Rica is lovely too but if your instinct says Ireland do that first.

5. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 16:21
Edited: 25 February 2014, 16:21
6. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 16:22
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Rachel G,

I fly solo and getting lonely sometimes is the name of the game. What i discovered about flying solo, is that when im working on my do/see list, the loneliness isnt an issue since my time it taken up be do/seeing awesome things.

where the loneliness kicks in is at the meal times. I know that some places have a singles table where you can join other singles for a meal, but so far i havent been to any places like that. In my last trip, i was in CPH and did the "dinner with the danes" thing. I enjoyed it and they try to match you (age, likes) to locals. there is a fee for this, but imo, it was worth it. I/we spent 4 hours talking/chatting. Unfortunately it was a work day for them and i felt bad about keeping them up late.

Also, what i do on those lonely meals is that i review my digital pictures (2 cameras worth) and make notes of those pictures in my notepad. I will also take the time to chill and reflect on where im at and what ive seen that day. I may also review what i have planned for the next day.

I was hoping on my last trip i would be able to meet some people for some meals (not planned but just "hi want to have a meal togeahter?" type of thing), but so far that hasnt panned out. This year,i hope to try and meet some. I met a father/son in Caen, France a couple years ago and i keep intouch. The sons in Prague and i will be there this year, so i hope to meetup and have a meal together and maybe spend some time.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 18:36
Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Hi Rachel,

I'm in the same situation as you - 33 and about to embark on a solo adventure, only mine will be in Thailand.

Have you thought about doing a tour? gadventures.com do tours of Ireland and cater for our age group (whereas contiki and others cater for younger late teens and 20-smthings). Paddywagon tours is another tour operator in Ireland, however I can't speak from experience.

If you don't want to do a tour have you considered staying in a few B&Bs instead of hotels? You will get a very authentic Irish experience doing that, especially in the countryside, outside of Dublin. As kitsh as it sounds older Irish ladies are very motherly (in a very nice way) and you would be well looked after and not feel alone. There'd be no need to book ahead - you can get a B&B book from the tourist office and book as you go as with tourism in Ireland down, there is a surplus of accommodation here.

Another option is to login into couchsurfing and connect with people - you don't have to stay on their couches!! A few friends of mine just use it to meet people and show them around their city. There are a couple of other sites like couch surfing out there.

Talk to people when you're here - especially in the "country" (by that I mean outside Dublin) where people are more friendly than in the big city (I come from outside Dublin). People are very friendly here and most will try to help you as much as they can. You will not feel lonely that way.

Good luck in your journey!! :)

Stockholm, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Hi, Rachel,

So excited for you!

I have been to Cosa Rica twice and loved it, but I fled San Jose asap. and headed up north to Flamingo and Liberia, actually we flew into Liberia the second trip . . .I guess I would say that Costa Rica would be easier with someone . . .not so much alone . . .and the beaches make one wistful for romance . . . I would not feel safe .. .as a female alone there . . .but that is me . . .I grew up in South America .. .and my sense of adventure is curbed to SAFER.

Going to Ireland for St. Patrick's day .. . week, is my dream .. . on the upper part of the bucket list for Rebecca .. .

I have found that traveling in cooler weather is invigorating and seems to be conducive to traveling solo.

It is fun to put on a few light layers and rain proof .. . boots are comfy to walk in and it makes every pint or cup of coffee that much tastier . . .

I salute you and empathize with you on the ex thing and facing solo travel!!!! I am facing that also, and that is why I am reading solo forum tonite .. .something to do .. .to not think about him.

Go and Enjoy!!!!! laugh and have fun . . .whatever you decide.

rebecca

Stockholm, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo travel to Ireland late March-early April

Oh, I forgot to mention something . . .like the others said . . .B&B's or HOSTELS . . . one of my first trips alone . . . ended up being alone . . . all of the sudden I did not know where to stay .. .In a small beach town on the atlantic in Uruguay . . . I emailed my son that I was going to flee home .. . and he said, MOM, slow down, you are ok, just go to the internet café .. .(US people travel without their smart phones) and find a HOSTEL. So I listened to my son and did it and had a BLAST!!!!! at the hostel . . .$22. US a day!!! stayed in a 6 bed room with girls . . .just across from the beach . . .and had kitchen use, fabulous breakfast, fun people to hang out with . . . it was my first experience sharing w/ strangers . . . and it was soothing for my broken heart . . .not sure if Ireland has them . . .they must . . . but if you can find one that is all ages . . .I was in my forties . . .probably the oldest one there and all the kids were great! ( I have heard that this was a rare HOSTAL, meaning, clean and new and interesting peeps) I will stay at hostels again!

rebecca

Get answers to your questions