We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working holiday to England

Townsville...
9 posts
Save Topic
Working holiday to England

Hi everyone,

My name is Monica and i'm 18 turning 19 years old from Australia.

I've just applied for a YMS visa for the UK and if i'm accepted, i'm planning to leave Australia for England in April sometime.

First I am going to try London and try to find work there, but after reading many posts on here I gather it can be sometimes hard to find employment in London so I am prepared to move anywhere over England or even the UK to find work, I don't mind where as I want to see as much as the UK as I can anyway, so it is more about the experience for me. I plan on working in the UK for a few months and then travelling around the rest of Europe for a few months and finishing my trip around December or maybe even longer, that's if all goes to plan.

I was meant to be travelling with a friend but she has since had to pull out. I'm not too worried about travelling alone but my parents aren't exactly 100% happy with it as they are worried about safety, ect. I was wondering if anyone out there is doing the same thing as me around the same time, or wanting to do the same thing, or maybe already doing it that might wanna meet somewhere along the way, or someone that might need a travel buddy aswell?

Im a friendly, young and easy going person with no real set plans so i'm very flexible and would love to hear from some people out there!

I was also wondering if anyone has any advice on basically everything?! Or if any people have previously done something like this and have any reccomendations on places to stay/towns to visit, ect. Im really looking for all the help and helpful tips I can get.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working holiday to England

'... travelling around the rest of Europe for a few months ...' Please choose that time very carefully. Unless you have a visa, you will be allowed to stay in the Schengen countries for only 90 days within any 180 day period. Your passport will be stamped on entering and exiting Schengen, and the time spent in the Schengen zone will be monitored. Overstaying can mean a fine and refused entry in future, so please sort out an itinerary carefully before travelling; if you want to stay longer than 90 days within a 180 day period, apply for a visa.

Also, your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of your stay in the Schengen area. If it is not valid for that time, you will need a new passport.

Have a look at www.tntmagazine.com for more information about working in the UK. You will be job hunting with hundreds of others, so unless you have some very good skills you may have a difficult time finding work.

Making a grand tour now is different from when I made my first, several thousand years ago: no mobiles and no internet made communication and trip planning more difficult, but staying in touch is easier now, and you can sort things out on the trot much more easily. Those improvements are coupled with more crowded cities, an unhappy economic climate, and a rather different world view; these can make spending a long time in Europe hard work at times, so be prepared for that but try to counter with the good experiences you will have.

Sort out as many logistics as you can before leaving Australia. Remind your parents that the cord has been cut but know that they will fret no matter what, as that's their job. Keep your mobile topped up and stay in touch, as it will be to your benefit as well as theirs.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,662 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working holiday to England

Hi Monica. I would suggest you find some networking sites for Aussies working in the Uk and see how they manage and if there are any working contacts.

Things have changed over the last few years and with mass unemployment and rising immigration things have changed. You realise that wages are lower here than your country so you need to plan and budget well while takeing into account the Schengen Agreement.

Here is a recent news item http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25401024

smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/if-londons-sti…

ft.com/cms/…axzz2rsDcFJuJ

This could marginally work in your favour if you can find out where the good contacts are.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 09:45
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working holiday to England

Just to reinforce the issue about finding work - you need to be financially prepared in case you cannot get any income. The UK is difficult but unemployment in the Eurozone is even worse.

Gone are the days when everyone behind a London bar spoke Strine, now it's Polish. And London has the best labour market.

But follow the advice at 1 and 2 above and have some fun.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,890 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working holiday to England

London is still a magnet for young people to come and work and live in. While salaries are still higher than the national average, accoomodation costs are very expensive. It is vital that you budget for accommodation, as cheap housing is rare. Gumtree is a popular website for finding shared flats and houses, and should give you an idea about costs.

Outside of London, but still in the south east of England ( Surrey, Sussex, Kent, Hampshire) , accommodation costs start to reduce (but not by much) but transport costs to get into London for work cancel out any savings on housing costs.

Large cities like Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester have more affordable housing costs. I have no idea about employment opportunities. Salaries would be lower, especially in the service and hospitality industries. The current minimum wage for 18 to 20 year olds is just over £5.00 per hour, and it's very likely that this is all that employers would be prepared to pay.

I really don't want to pour cold water on your plans, but the harsh economic climate has put finding a well paid job with affordable housing outside the reach of many young people within the UK. Unfortunately the rest of Europe has even higher rates of youth unemployment compared to the UK.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Working holiday to England

finding work in uk is very hard for any one, times in the uk are not good at all now with major government cuts.

uk is now one of the hardest countries in world to live and one of the most expensive.

6. Re: Working holiday to England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:25