We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Destination September 2014

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Destination September 2014

Hi,

I am a 26 yo female from Mumbai, India. I am trying to finalize travel destinations for a 15 days' solo trip in September 2014. Last year I traveled to Paris, Belgium and Amsterdam and loved every bit of it. I enjoy cities and cultural destinations. Not a big fan of beaches or luxury travel. Would want to stay comfortably within 100EUR/day budget if possible(I couchsurfed a bit last time). I went through a couple of threads on this forum and figured out some destinations. I know that it's me who has to finally decide but your opinions on these places would really help !

So some of the options I have are:

1) Germany-Austria-Lichtenstein (Seems pretty interesting)

2) Poland-Czech-Austria

3) Turkey-Georgia (Really interested in this.. not sure how safe this would be)

4) Vietnam-Laos/ Cambodia-Laos (I read online that September would be a really bad month to travel to these countries)

5) Italy-Croatia (too ambitious I guess)

Please feel free to add to this list (would be even more confused but options are always good !)

Thanks.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

You item 5 is probably the least ambitious, not most. You can get across the Adriatic from Venice to Porec/Pula by boat or overland from Trieste, through Slovenia (which is lovely) to Croatia. All three are in the EU so no visa/border issues and both Italy and Slovenia are in the Eurozone, Croatia is still using Kune.

You item 3 - Most of Turkey is lovely with really friendly people but don't go too far east, near Syria or in the Kurdish areas. I haven't been to Georgia recently but the Russians and some separatists have caused a fuss in recent years.

1 and 2 are fine - consider Hungary too. The Danube links Vienna, Budapest and Bratislava (Slovakia) and makes a great trip.

I loved Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos but you do need to pick the dry season and few will speak English.

How about the UK - London in particular. Plenty of people from the sub-continent if you get homesick.

Have a great time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

Italy and Croatia is do-able, although I would agree trying to do both in a 15-day trip is a bit ambitious. My bias is in favor of Croatia and, to me, a great 15-day trip would be Croatia, Slovenia and Venice, with maybe a little more in the northeastern section of Italy. On the other hand, Italy all by itself would be a worthy 15-day trip. But it's not Croatia!

Croatia is beautiful, with so much history and beautiful architecture packed along on the coast. Slovenia would give you an Alpine experience on a more manageable budget than Austria or Switzerland. And you could get a taste of Italy by exploring Venice and, depending on your time, a little more in the northeast, while saving the heart and soul of Italy (Rome and Florence) for a dedicated trip.

If you decide to do the Czech Republic and Austria trip, rather than Poland, I do agree with davidblades above that Slovakia (Bratislava) and Hungary (Budapest and maybe another city) are a better geographical fit, if you are using surface transportation, due to the steep Tatras mountains separating Poland from the Czech Republic.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

Thank you davidblades and retrofuturistic for your opinions.. Croatia-Slovenia-Venice seems to be a wonderful option for the trip..

Just to confirm, you guys suggest a Czech-Austria-Slovakia-Hungary trip ? Wont it be a lill tight for a 15 day trip ?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

Rather than saying Czech Republic/Austria/Slovakia/Hungary, it's probably better to call it "Prague/Vienna/Bratislava/Budapest". You can pretty much exhaust Bratislava in a day. You could even see it as a day trip from Vienna. So with Bratislava taking one of the 15 days, that would leave three cities in the remaining 14 days. And you can do additional cities in the Czech Republic as day trips from Prague (e.g., Plzen) or, likewise, in Hungary (e.g., Eger or Pecs).

5. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 16:22
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

Thanks davidblades and retrofuturistic...

Jackie D, Ya it does seem very appealing :)

Newcastle upon...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

Hi,

I am looking for a backpack trip in sept for 15-20 days as well. No qualms on where to go and how, are you interested in pairing up?

27 yr old male, UK (Indian).

Edited: 07 July 2014, 13:38
8. Re: Travel Destination September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:16