We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single supplements

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
Single supplements

Single supplements when traveling are nothing more than blatant discrimination against single travelers. Just because it's an industry norm it by no means makes it right! They consume half the water, electricity, amenities and toilet paper but are penalised for having the shear audacity to travel alone. " sorry you single Sado we will charge you one and a half times the usual rate!" It's so very wrong and needs to stop. If an establishment proudly states that they do have single accommodation at a reduced rate it is usually cellular with no view and often no windows. But of course you're single so why would you possibly want to enjoy the benefit of the rooms with a view that couples do! Single supplements no matter how argued are discrimination against the single traveler and it needs to stop!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Single supplements

Gillie H,

i hear ya. I travel solo, and im at the point no i just bend over and take it.

Its too bad public executions arent allowed in most places but that would go against capitalism.

the only thing you can do is to find places that have single rooms. So far, i havent been on a tour that screwed me for flying solo. On a local airline, they do a 2for1 to get you to bring along a partner. So far i havent used the offer.

also, WTF with singles "supplement". they make it sound like your getting something special while youre getting screwed. why not call it what it is - a FEE for being single.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 07:37
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single supplements

We already have a link in the Top Questions area, for Single Supplement posts - over on the right side of this page (as long as you are not on a smart device). Do we need yet another thread that advocates what we don't agree with already? Or would we rather spend the time posting ideas for finding alternatives.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single supplements

Perhaps I am missing something here, but for the life of me, what exactly is a single room supplement? I have travelled to many countries and when I stay in a hotel I always book a room, not a space in a room. I have never booked a holiday through a travel agent or travel company, therefore never been asked about paying a single supplement.

Many, many years ago, when I was 18 I once nearly came close to booking a travel package, but after listening to the travel agent dictating their terms and conditions and that I would have to leave on Tuesday and return on a Tuesday, which considering that like most people I typically finish work on a Friday, and start on a Monday, as I would imagine many others also do. Ideally I want to go on my break as soon as possible and make the most of my free time, not hang around for three days before I could depart.

So what did I do? Given this was the time before the internet, I picked up the Yellow Pages and contacted the respective Embassy and went down to the Tourism Office (when they still existed) I picked up many brochures, one with a list of hotels and then contacted the hotel, first phoning and then write, a later response, gave me their room rates and had to arrange an International Money Order to pay my deposit and had made my first booking overseas, with no single supplement.

On transport I booked the Boat -Train from Harwich and made my way over to Amsterdam and had a great holiday, of ten days and not seven and have never looked back since.

Now that was 32 years ago, in this day and age with the amount of information available on the internet and ease to find it, I am not sure why people are still banging on about single supplements.

If you go to a travel agent and they are quoting you a single supplement, this is what you should do. Take the details of the resort when you were planning to stay and then do some research, contact the hotel resort direct and ask the room rate, if they quote you a single supplement, try elsewhere. I appreciate that in some places it may be cheaper to book a package, but you need to look at all your costs.

I recall getting into a debate with someone over the benefit of a package deal over travelling solo. When we actually broke down exactly what they were getting for this package was a flight & accommodation half board, and travel arrangement from the airport to the resort. This consisted of the travel firm rep putting you in a taxi or mini bus. However, I did say that if you cannot arrange to take a taxi from the airport to your resort, maybe you should not be travelling in the first place. Oh and not forgetting that the flight was the early hours flight, which meant that had to be at the airport at around 3am.

But do note, most resorts need YOU more than you need THEM, remember some or many travel companies negotiate deals with these hotels for X amount of rooms for a long periods and some hotels / resorts don’t get paid until long after the holiday season has finished, so most are happy to have cash paying customers. After all single supplement is a way for some organisations to maximise their profits by effectively selling a room twice, or in one case I read about many years ago, one travel company wanted three people to share a standard room.

Maybe I can understand at one of these couples / adults styled resorts, like Sandals charging a single supplement, but as for many of the others, not really.

So please stop banging on about being “shafted” by Single Supplements and take your business elsewhere, to where your money is welcomed

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single supplements

Thank you for your replies and input. I travel as a photographer throughout South and Southern Africa making my own reservations never having used a travel operator or booking agent. Every establishment loads the rate for a single person in a room, trust me Screensilver I have shopped around and looked for alternatives, the solution really isn't that simple! I have done my research on the Internet thoroughly, traveling solo you can't afford not to. So it has nothing to do with making a reservation through an agent at all.

Bk_t1 Thank you for,pointing out the thread which I had failed to pick up...I shall take my myself across there forthwith!

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single supplements

Gillie

I don't post much on this forum as there doesn't seem to be much interest in safari or African travel. I don't know what type of places you travel to but I am mainly a safari goer, and I have found that in safari camps, single supplements are relatively easy to avoid. Since Dec 2011, I have organised 11 safari trips. On 8 of these, I paid no single supplement. Of those 8, 5 were in Southern Africa (Zambia and Botswana) and 3 in East Africa (Kenya). The 3 trips where I paid a single supplement were in Tanzania, but the single supplement was relatively low.

The key is not to travel in peak season. In peak season, safari camps can very likely fill all their rooms, so to not charge a single supplement for someone taking a whole room to themselves would be taking a hit, as they could almost certainly sell that room to a couple for double the price. However, in low and shoulder season, camps are often not filled to capacity and either don't charge a single supplement or are happy to waive it.

But even in peak season there are safari camps who do not charge a single supplement, or who will not charge it if you book a minimum number of nights with the same group of camps.

When you book places, have you tried asking them to waive the single supplement? Many will do so, usually more likely for longer stays (ie 4+ nights). If you are booking directly rather than through an agent, they are saving the agent's commission so might be more amenable to waiving it.

6. Re: Single supplements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:23