We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo F early 20's using overnight trains - safe?

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Solo F early 20's using overnight trains - safe?

Hello!

I'm an American currently studying in Scotland and looking to do 2 weeks of train travel in May. I would be doing mostly overnight trains so that I can spend my days exploring cities, although there are a few cities I will have to spend a night. I will be visiting:

Oslo, Norway

Stockholm, Sweden

Copenhagen, Denmark

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Berlin and Munich, Germany

Prague, Czech Republic

Vienna, Austria

Budapest, Hungary

Several cities in Switzerland

Is it safe to travel on overnight trains in these cities? I'm mostly concerned about that more than the cities themselves as I know they are safe and I know the general precautions. I just need a little reassurance and any helpful hints you may have! Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,888 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo F early 20's using overnight trains - safe?

Have a look for info here...

http://www.seat61.com

www.seat61.com/sleepers.htm#.UxO4NZIgGSM

Edited: 02 March 2014, 23:03
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,873 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo F early 20's using overnight trains - safe?

Cassie it seems that they are fairly safe countries but it's still worth being cautious. There are a lot of things like safety locks where you can click backpacks to the seats etc. Personally always sleep on them or anything with your money and documents in.

Travel Gadges and Gear and the Train Travel Forum could give some ideas too.

But you can't beat asking on each of the destination forums where you may find people who use the trains.

3. Re: Solo F early 20's using overnight trains - safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16