We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solo in Italy- best places to visit

Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling solo in Italy- best places to visit

Hello! I'm going to be traveling in Italy for a month by myself! So excited! I lived in Florence for 5 months as a student when I was in college. I have visited Rome, Milan, Florence, the cinque terre and other small and beautiful spots. I was thinking I would take the trains to Naples, the Amalfi coast and then over to puglia which I have been told is beautiful.

Can anyone recommend any "off the beaten path" locations/towns for me to explore? I will be going by train. I will be there from mid-may to mid-June. Also- I was considering renting a car, but it does make me a little nervous to drive on the autostrada (even tho I battle horrendous traffic in Los Angeles everyday day).thoughts about that? When I lived there previously I just took trains....thanks for your help and suggestions!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling solo in Italy- best places to visit

Hello, you did not mention which city you will start from. I will tell you how I did it. From Rome Termini took train to Naples and booked a hotel near the train for convenience. Went to Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi, Capri in one day. Please visit official website of Italian Board of Tourism and many sites for transfers from point to point (Naples--early train to Pompeii(3-4hrs)-->different train to Sorrento(3hrs)--->down to port ferry to Capri(3hrs w/o shopping)-->bus to Amalfi (2hrs max must see the cathedral)--->bus back to Sorrento then train back to Naples. Roads around Amalfi are zigzag so be aware you easily get sick stay in the rear seat.

Naples city-->bus to Naples port --> ferry to Procida (near coast beachy)3-4 hrs-->ferry to Ischia (near coast beachy shopping thermal baths)3-4 hrs---> ferry back to Naples port-->bus back to city/hotel.

Italian tourist web are so friendly, train, bus, ferry scheds are accurate/do your research. I always go solo and followed website....no glitch. Every alley, corner, road of Italy is beautiful...Sienna, Assisi, Pisa, etc etc Enjoy your trip!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling solo in Italy- best places to visit

You may consider a train to the north and visit Genoa - also along the way is Santa Margherita Ligure. Both were interesting towns along the coast. In addition, some cruiselines port out of Genoa; which might be an idea.

3. Re: Traveling solo in Italy- best places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions