We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

Hi all,

This will be my first solo trip that is that far and that long. Im going in the beginning of May-- but my trip starts in April elsewhere--so Im making all plans now. Hopefully would make it for cherry blossom... Im planning to visit at least 3 flower parks. I've made an itinerary plan (it's a work in progress... Help!) and I have few questions for those who well traveled Japan:

Tokyo: 4 nights with a one day trip to Hitachi Seaside Park. (?)

Fuji Five Lakes : 1 night.

Q: What area is best to stay? Should I take a climbing trip to mount Fuji? I'm planning to visit the Fuji Shibazakura Festival.

Kyoto: 4 nights. with one day trip to Arashiyama. bamboo forest and all kinds of activities of site seeing.

Osaka: 1 night. Not sure If I should stay a night, and there is enough to do in just one day trip.

*Shirakawago : 1 Night. I wanted to visit a real village. Your opinion? (It's about 4 hours from Kyoto)

*Miyajima: 1 night.

----------------------------------

Nikko, Nara, and Ashikaga Flower Park in Ashikaga City, Tochigi Prefecture are also places I want to visit and may replace it with other.

My questions:

1. Maybe a day trip will do?

2. Is it too much/ too many places?

3. In your opinion, should I change my above itinerary, because there are places I should not miss?

3.5 Plus, maybe the fact Im traveling solo makes a difference?

4. And last: As I'll have some luggage with me-- Is there a place in Tokyo I could keep/ store it for few days? Im leaning towards staying in Shubuya area.

Thank you very much all. Hope it's not too confusing.

Liat

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

As far I know, Japan does not pose any particular problems for single Western females traveling alone apart from those that would also be faced by single males or Western couples.

I think you will get better responses if you post your questions again into the Japan forums and maybe look at their Top Questions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

Thanks! I just did:-)

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

Shirakawago is not a real Japanese village, it is an assembly of old houses that exists primarily as a tourist attraction. It is worth seeing, especially if you can go on a weekday, but it is packed during the day with day trippers who come by bus from Takayama or Kanawaza.

I haven't spent the night there, but I am told that can be interesting to be there after the tourists empty out.

Osaka is only 40 minutes by train from Kyoto so most tourists go there as a day trip from Kyoto. However, the nightlife is more like Tokyo than Kyoto (and sometimes delightfully eccentric) and IME, it is worth staying a night there so you can stumble straight to a local bed.

I haven't been to Miyajima, but hope to on my next trip (4th) or the 5th thereafter. Everything I have read sounds as though it is lovely. I have been to Nagasaki (which is a delightful city) but have resisted Hiroshima as I found when I went to the exhibits about the siege of Leningrad all I did was cry.

Your itinerary isn't too busy (although climbing Mount Fuji seems like a lot of time out during a short trip) but it really only goes to the most touristed places.

Have a look at the Inside Japan Self-Guided adventures and the Interactive map on the right hand side for ideas of other places you might go.

insidejapantours.com/self-guided-japan-holid…

IME, Japan is just about the easiest and pleasantest place for a female solo traveller there is. The trains are immaculate, the people courteous, the signs in the railway stations in English as well as Japanese and the level of public honesty is very restful.

The Japan forum is terrific, but bear in mind that the Japanese culture values consensus and so local posters are likely to recommend the places where the most tourists go as being clearly "approved" by visitors.

If you seek something a bit different, you may be met with a certain amount of puzzlement.

Lastly, if you have tattoos that are too big to cover with a waterproof band-aid, you may be turned away from osens and amusement parks.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 07:38
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

Leagle,

Thank you for the great and informative reply. It is very helpful!

Japan has been on my "Must travel"/ "To travel alone" lists for years now. I've always been fascinated by their culture. I am imagining it to be like landing on the moon, and at the same time, the culture makes perfect sense to me.

Osaka it is then. And I'll go through the link you sent me-- to see maybe other villages/ places I could go to.

Thank you again,

PS--

I do not have any tattoos (but that is interesting:))

5. Re: Japan Solo woman 12/ 13 nights.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 04:27