We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Looking for a tour company for my Italy trip. I am travelling solo in late Sept and have booked on a Gecko trip for 7 days sailing the Amalfi and would like suggestions for other tour groups that would take me to the Lakes area, Portofini, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome. I am looking at Intrepid but would like some recommendations please. I also want to ask is it cheaper to join a tour or to go it alone? I feel its worth paying for a tour for the shared experience, right?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,821 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Romoz I'm not sure that you will find this the best place to post as it is about travelling on your own ie Solo and not with groups.

You may get better results by asking on the Holiday Forum which is general or the Italian forums for the places you would like to go. In fact a search of those forums using the small box above the forums and putting in the names of the companies you want could bring up trip reports from other travellers who have used them.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Hi,

I don't know how much time you have for this trip but I'd hate to be in a tour group that tells me when to get up in the AM and drags me from city to city! Italy is a really easy place to travel solo. You get from place to place on the trains which are reliable and inexpensive.

If you go to the Italy forums and start asking questions you will find MANY solo women travelers there who can give you good advice! My very first solo trip was to Italy and it was just great! I got from place to place on my own and if there was a spot that was difficult to reach I took a small group tour that I booked with a local company.

It is a wonderful place! My only advice to you is that if you don't want attention from local men then don't make eye contact with them! They will be very friendly!!!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,788 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

+1 --> What Riff M said!

Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Thankyou both. Yes the more I read the more I realize I will be paying more by touring with a group than carefully planning my own journey. I was mainly worried about spending time on my own of an evening when I go out for dinner but I am sure I will find myself wandering and enjying peple watching. Thanks for your advice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

DO go to the Italy forums.

I have met many single women travelers by asking questions there.

In fact my travel partner for my last few trips is a person I met on the Venice forum on my 2nd trip there!!

You will have a wonderful time in Italy!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

I will be in italy may and june this year...and going solo, I crave time on my own to wander and do my photography. I am basing myself in main areas and cities for up to 3 to 6 days at a time in some places, so i can have time to sightsee and time to write and relax, which i need. Im staying in a selection of small budget homey hotels where there will be lots of company in the hotel restaurants for dinner. I dont loke to go much at night as im weary afte all that walking, and also from a safety aspect. Im also staying in some hostels, where I can mix with others, and cook my

own meals. And would be happy to go out in the evening with fellow travellers. I have travelled on organised group tours and these are great for out of the way places or long distances, but in italy with such a good rail network and plenty of heap buses all you need to see is in easy reach. To take it easy after all the rome and pompei and naples walking I will be doing some day tours from florence (to siena and san giggiamo) and montecatini terme (to lucca and garden villas). Travelling solo is a good way to get in tough with the authentic you...write a journal while traveliing about all that your experiences bring out...its surprising what emerges in the quiet moments, after all that chaos of your busy day. have a wonderful time ♡

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,821 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Romoz, evenings as Magpie says you are often foot sore and weary or just tired from the sun and exploring.

Having your main meal at lunch time saves having to get dressed and go out again because you have to. An evening snack, stroll and people watch, chat, have a drink in the hotel bar. By the time you've gone through your photos to select the best you have completed an evening ;-)

Maybe do both, a tour and time on your own. You can mix and match.

Remember the 'shared experience' will mean orgainsed times to get up, have breakfast, be at the coach, waiting for the slowest.......and my least favourite, trying to hear what a guide is saying from the back of a group or being told what to look at in a museum or outing and you are all looking at the same thing and listening to the guides thoughts, not mine.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

I really turn into a foodie when I travel.Italy has great food and I enjoy going out to eat even on my own. I find the wait staff takes good care of me and sometimes I get into conversations with other travelers. There is no need to stay at your hotel at night if you are a tiny bit adventuresome! I try to stay in smaller family run hotels or B&Bs so that someone knows who I am and where I might be going that night.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

Italy is so easy to get around and the tourist information offices in the towns have maps, information about day tours and can be very helpful in telling you how to do the things you want to do that I can't really see that a tour is necessary unless you are someone who hates doing anything on your own.

I like the Lonely Planet Guidebooks (which now come on Kindle so I can carry the whole thing with me, not just tear out the pages I think I will need, and certainly aren't just for backpackers or the young any more) but others prefer the Rough Guides. Have a look through several different ones to see what suits you best.

The long distance trains, IME, are terrific in Italy. This website will tell you all you need to know about train travel in Italy. Don't discount the buses either for shorter trips. The tourist information office can probably help with that.

www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#.Uywnnvl_tng

I don't know it it is much cheaper to sort out your trip yourself, but it is certainly more likely that you can spend money on what means a lot to you and scrimp on what doesn't matter.

Many inexpensive tours save money by booking hotels on the edges of the cities you came to see and drive you in for the day. This means that you don't have the ability for a wander in the evening, which limits your experience. If you stay out of dark alleys, follow the way you behave at home and don't get drunk, safety should not be an issue, day or night.

In Florence there are evenings when the Palazzo Vecchio is open until midnight. It is a very different experience to wander the hall at night and one I wouldn't have missed for anything.

Learn "please" and "thank you" in Italian and if you can add Buon Giorno that should get you by, although the more Italian you can learn, the better. The Italians have been dealing with monolingual Brits for centuries and have found ways to communicate.

Cover your knees and shoulders in churches and have a wonderful time.

10. Re: Solo in Italy- tour group suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21