We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahamas solo female traveller

Broome, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Bahamas solo female traveller

Hi I'm 30 from Australia I want to go to the Bahamas and maybe the Virgin Islands as it looks like an amazing place to visit. I'd like to meet new people and have a fun time. Definitely doing a sailing trip. There doesn't seem to be any back packers and I'd really like to just island hop no stress and without feeling totally on my own. Any suggestions ?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,377 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahamas solo female traveller

The Caribbean Sea has so many widely spaced island groups, that most people find it easier to fly to the different island chains. The distances make it difficult to island hop by ferries, unless you are concentrating on just one chain eg, like the Windward Islands or the Antilles.

Backpacking is a less developed form of tourism too. I'm not saying this to put you off, but you may need to do considerably more research.

It's just an idea, but one way of sailing around the islands would be to work for a chartered yachting company. However, I have no idea about practical matters like work permits, wages and visa's.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 14:08
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahamas solo female traveller

First, you didn't share when you plan to go or for how long. This matters, because USVI is further south - and during winter months here, is the better choice. I suppose that if you picked a home base, like St. Thomas, San Juan PR, or similar - you could make it happen. Also, you really don't share other activities or things you like doing or why something was "amazing". More details would be helpful.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bahamas solo female traveller

Grand Bahama is the only place in the Caribbean I disliked, although I suspect some of the other Bahamian islands might have been more fun.

The place I stayed seemed totally geared to the cruise ships with lots of shopping and a certain bleakness. Part of the problem is that I was there just before Christmas and the Bahamas are really too far north to feel like a tropical island in December.

Do look out for possible immigration problems if you want to work on any of the islands. Your best chance might be in the British Virgin Islands, but make certain you do your research before you set out. Being deported could make travel anywhere awkward for the next few years.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bahamas solo female traveller

'There doesn't seem to be any backpackers' - do check the safety aspect of which areas are safe to travel in. This isn't just a solo thing.

There wasn't much info in the way of Top Questions on the forums so you may need to post on the places you are going and/or search online.

This is ours for the Foreign and Comonwealth Office.........you need to check the Aussie one though I would guess the info would be much the same.

https:/…safety-and-security

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bahamas solo female traveller

You could check out the website helpx.net there are a few listings under the caribbean title- including Virgin Is.The website has host places you can stay in exchange for helping out (normally 4 hours a day) and are often a great way to meet locals and fellow Backpackers. Look for places where they take a few people that you think look interesting and you may meet others to travel with and find out where all the 'backpackers' hang out.- I work at a hostel in NZ and thats the way it works here and my daughter used the same website while travelling in Mexico and Central America on her own last year and met a lot of fellow travellers she continued exploring with.

6. Re: Bahamas solo female traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 04:16