We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

Darwin, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

Hi guys,

So I'm currently in the process of organising a trip riding from my hometown, Adelaide, Australia overland to London - without flying. I will ride to Darwin and have already organised a boat from there to Singapore! My main issue at the moment is trying to find a way around Burma and into India. Is it possible to go through Tibet into Nepal from the Chinese side without a Tour Operator - so far everything I've read has given me the impression that this is not possible. Is it possible to cross the Chinese border into India or Pakistan? Does anyone have any advice for a trip such as this; I know that the security situation in a number of countries along the route can also be an issue, so would love any advice people can give to reduce risks!

Thanks

Crash Duncan.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,723 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

I could be wrong, but I thought I'd read that the Chinese/Tibet border was closed for independant travellers.

The Pakistan/India border may also be restricted to a few guarded crossing places.

You may get more advice if you post in the destination forums themselves, or in both the road trip and adventure travel forums. Good Luck!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

If you were from the USA, I would recommend that you contact the U.S. Department of State, for a whole host of reasons, not just the border crossing questions. From a quick google search, it appears to me that the Australian equivalent would be the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, your Foreign Minister.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,444 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

Unfortunately you do need to get government advice on this. Probably the best way because if you can get hold of the right person/department they can advise on your whole route in one go.

Posting on the individual forums in the meantime may throw up some information but it can't be guaranteed as right, we all just post as ordinary individuals.

I noticed that Singapore was not covered on one travel insurance policy I looked at the other day, another was Bankok so that will be another aspect to take into consideration because you will need insurance.

Worth looking at sites from a search too 'cycling around the world' bought up lots to see any problems/advantages you may encounter.

Whatever you do take very great care if you try to cycle in London ;-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,784 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

Why do you want to go through the troubled Pakistan and countries in Middle East? It should be less risky to go through China and Russia. You would need fewer visas. You can cover part of the distance as needed using the Trans-Siberian railway, too.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 13:04
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,523 posts
5,698 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

Hello crash_duncan

Wow, your trip sounds exciting. Unfortunately, given present instabilities in some of the regions you would have to cross, it is increasingly difficult for the TA destination experts to recommend or give advice on how to do such a trip simply due to safety and security issues. Generally speaking, we error on the side of caution on the TA forums in regard to such matters. However, the trip does sound quite epic and exciting.

Good luck with your trip planning and happy travels whatever you decide to do.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 02:13
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

Routes are never predefined. But if you are planning to travel from China to India to Pakistan. Then there will be no issues unless and until you are well packed with your trips and identity proof to enter to the places and must be aware of the destinations where to stay and ends journey in rest and peace.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 08:14
7. Re: Adelaide to London by Bicycle.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions