We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Dublin by train/ferry?

warrenton ,va
Level Contributor
21 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
London to Dublin by train/ferry?

arrive Hethrow mid morning but looks like after the one train to Dublin. Should I wait a day in London and then take the train next day??Where does the train leave from in London?? Is this the most scenic option to Dublin???

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,238 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Dublin by train/ferry?

Warren, just wondering why you are flying into Heathrow to get a train to Dublin and not going direct?

I'm no expert on the line or trains from London to wherever you need to go to get the ferry to Dublin. If you ask the same question (maybe with a please) on the London forum they will give you the right station.

Hopefull they will be able to tell you the route too and what it's like. Often they run through the countryside and you will be crossing a lot of the UK so a nice relaxed way to see it - if you don't doze off after a long flight.

For that reason I would suggest a layover of a day so you can really get into the holiday. You could have a walk along the Embankment to Parliment, Big Ben, go on the Milenium Wheel and some other things or take a HoHo ride.

There is food and snacks on the trains but they are pricey so might be worth buying a small picnic and just getting the coffee.

There are 'cheap' flights to Dublin but by the time you get to an airport, time for security etc you could probably be at the Western port by then with an interesting ferry ride ahead. Also the flights to Dublin with some companies like RyanAir charge for every little thing.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Dublin by train/ferry?

if it was me i would just take a puddle jumper from whatever airport into dublin.

however, if you like train/ferry rides go for it.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Dublin by train/ferry?

I did this going through raileurope.com back in October. It was pleasant, certainly not the quickest though. The countryside is as picturesque/gorgeous as you'd imagine. The ferry ride leaves a little bit to be desired, but was still nice. Cost me $147 US.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Dublin by train/ferry?

The London to Dublin SailRail (combined train & ferry) ticket costs £38 (advance) or £43 (on the day), you can buy this online at www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk. That's about $61 or $69.

5. Re: London to Dublin by train/ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:16