We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Essex
Level Contributor
28,539 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Finding a Travel Buddy on the Internet is fraught with problems and dangers.

You could end up with a dominant one who wants to go on route-marches everywhere, while you want to stop and smell the flowers.

You could end up with a clingy whinger, who expects you to do all the work. Then complains all the time about what you do.

You could end up in an Hostel or Hotel room with all your property, passport and money gone...

You could end up with an Axe murderer!

This is why the denizens of the TA Solo Travel Forum, council against taking such a course of action.

TA also is an unregulated site!! After all, think about how much info you had to provide when registering, from "hardly any" to "you can pretty much say anything" in your profile. No doubt most of us are honest, but the reality is, that not everyone is. So for all that the other travel information you can gain here is GREAT, TA really is not a safe site to find that perfect buddy.

How would you know that they are who they say they are?

How would they know that you are who you say they are?

Besides, the Solo Travel Forum was set-up for the purpose of helping people who WANT to travel solo, not for people that don't want to travel solo! Read the "How to use this Forum" sticky, at the top of the threads listing, if you don't want to believe me.

Yes, 'twas I who started the "Travel Buddy Thread" admittedly in a fit of pique. I did not expect it to become the behemoth that it has!!

However, on the first few pages of that thread, are links to other websites that are "policed" and where you might find that seeking the elusive travel companion is safer.

So this thread is to provide a better place for such links and hopefully will become more useful.

Be careful out there folks, better to go it alone, than hook-up with some nut-job!

Regards, EW

226 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
28,539 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Clearly, it is time for tis thread to go back to the top of the forum again.

Please read the info on page 1 of this thread, folks, Travel Safe!

EW

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

I don't think I've seen a link to www.couchsurfing.org yet.

Although the site is primarily aimed towards free sleeping places in people's homes, and secondarily aimed at short-term events such as pub crawls, short meet-ups, group bike rides or to visit a festival together, I have found it can also be a great way to find people to spend a few days or a week with in a place that I am visiting. Especially when you have similar interests such as bike riding, or gay nightlife.

The site has various safety features that people can choose to use and that will help them be more trustworthy. For example there are symbols that show that they have proven to Couchsurfing that they have provided their real name and real address to Couchsurfing (although you may not be able to see those; at least they *can* be traced down). They proved this with a credit card payment, and with a code that was on a postcard that Couchsurfing sent to their home address. I highly doubt anyone would go through that trouble and then turn out to be an axe murderer though of course I have no proof of that. Then again, your own uncle might be one.

Also the photos, profile, and reviews by other members in Couchsurfing.org should tell you something about what that person is like, and the things he or she wrote about others.

As for all those people looking for travel buddies, personally I am always amazed by the hordes of people who look for travel buddies online for multiple week trips or even for multiple month travels. How can you share such an intimate thing as a holiday with someone you've never met, or only a few times? How can you want to be almost 24/7, sharing highs and lows with someone you barely know? I always wonder how long they lasted, if they did end up going traveling together! Would make for an interesting documentary. :-)

What I love about traveling solo, and about the low commitment level of Couchsurfing, is that you can meet people, see if you click, and just spend time together while it's fun, or go your separate ways when it's been enough. No hard feelings. But if you've already agreed to travel together for a full month, then it must feel like a 'break-up' when one of you feels it doesn't click and wants to go on alone.

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Thanks EW...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,512 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Cecile74: Thanks for the comments on couchsurfing. On Post #5, there were links I referenced, but in copy/pasting them over from the "old" (now closed) Travel-Buddy post - the links were not hotlinked. I'll see if I can recreate them, but I agree that the topic does belong in this post - so thanks.

California City...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Great advice and thank you for sharing the wisdom.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,038 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

I'd just like to mention that Couchsurfing you are expected to buy food or take your hosts out to dinner, something like that. It's not freeloading. Definitely worth reading the site to see how it works.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Suebovington, you're right, I forgot to mention it because to me that is so logical I forget to even think it might not be so for others. :-)

Edited: 14 May 2014, 17:41
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,512 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Time for a bump. Also, Post #5 on this thread links to a few previous threads, but were not hotlinked from the previous TB thread. Here are the links:

Couch Surfing (since these concepts are often linked) - here are a couple good posts.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k2873484…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6934461…

Hostels and Couch Surfing compared:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6325682…

Great post on "meeting people" while traveling:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6471412…

Edited: 19 May 2014, 22:28
Essex
Level Contributor
28,539 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Sending this back to the top, to highlight bk_t1's refreshed links.

Stay safe out there folks.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread

Instead of bumping it over and over again why not make it a sticky or Top Question?

(Although the people you are trying to reach usually don't read those anyway, nor any other threads, not even the ones showing first...)

Reply to: Is there a safe way to find a Travel Buddy? - Info Thread
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions