We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Hi all,

Very new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any advice!

I'm planning my first solo trip and am very interested in a cycling tour around Vietnam (although I haven't ruled out other destinations).

Have any other female members had experience in solo cycling tours - did you join an organised tour group or did you plan yourself? I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information on the Internet and with so many different companies offering services, I'm having difficulty trying to find sift through everything and find the best one - they can also be quite expensive.

Please help :(

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Not much on the topic in this forum (here's all the posts with the word cycling):

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

But, you might have better luck in the Outdoors / Adventure Travel forum (again, posts which mention cycling)

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

I would be aprehensive of doing this solo. Leaves you too vulnerable.

Don't forget to ask on the Vietnam forum....you might need a specific area to ask in to get the best response.

Doing it with a tour I noticed for Sri Lanka and thought it looked like a great idea, seeing more of the real country and if you don't mind roughing it much better than the usual holidays.

https:/…Cycle-sri-lanka

You need to know your country throughly though either way and find out what the pester rate, scams are you might encounter. Also where you get bottled drinking water which you will need much more of or if you need purification tablets. I would also take rehydration salts and other emergency bits for first aid as a tummy bug on a bike is not the best.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 13:18
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Great thank you for your help :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Hi!

I solo'd Vietnam in 2010. & would highly advise to take a tour. It's easier to get a visa, go thru immi and SAFE for you as I was constantly barraged for $$$ the further North I went in some of the smaller citiers/towns.

I used http://www.vietnambiketours.com for a 17 bike day from Saigon to Han Noi which was awesome/met a great mix of people that I'm still friends with today. If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer as I remember how little info there was out there when I was planning. Regardless, have a great trip!

Hanoi - Vietnam
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Should to have a support van

6. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 16:10
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

I think it all depends on your prior experience cycling in hot climate, mountainous areas and how good you are at repairing your own bike when it breaks down.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Post #6 Reported - Clearly, based on your screen name - Soliciting/Advertising one's own business is against forum posting guidelines.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

Hi, did you end up doing your Vietnam Trip solo? I would be interested to see how it went if you did as I am planning to go at the end if the year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo female cycling in Vietnam

I'm planning to head to Vietnam in Sep and ride from Hanoi to HCMC. My research so far suggests it shouldn't be too bad.

When are you thinking of going?