We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 new/random usa stops

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
2 new/random usa stops

I have been to NYC & San Francisco 2 years ago.

I am looking for two new stops in America, two places that don't normally stand out like... Vegas, Miami & NYC etc etc.. Something a little different, random and adventurer.

Lakes,waterfalls,history,city's,small towns anything!

Any ideas/info is appreciated.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

Austin, Texas has great live music, lakes and fantastic 24/7 restaurants and coffee houses.

New Orleans isn't exactly a "hidden gem, but it is a gem.

Boston? The towns in Massachusetts just outside Boston??

Savannah, Georgia?

Charleston, South Carolina?

Sanibel and/or Captiva Island, Florida?

Yosemite National Park? (Great waterfalls!)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

I want to amend what Leagle said about Yosemite. It only has waterfalls in the spring during snow-melt season. It is still beautiful the rest of the year, but not quite as spectacular.

I'm going to set out a relatively random list of great destinations that are a bit off the beaten path, but all have something interesting to offer:

Seattle (alternative music scene)

The Inland Passage of the Alaska Panhandle, via ferry boat

Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, in Charlottesville, Virginia

Minneapolis (hometown of Prince, which has to mean something)

Santa Fe, New Mexico (for the great New Mexican cuisine)

Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York

Nashville, Tennessee (Music City USA)

Kentucky Bourbon Country (and the bourbon factory tours)

Arches National Park in Moab, Utah

Asheville, North Carolina (in the Great Smoky Mountains)

It's an eclectic selection. You would not regret visiting any of these places.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

Thanks a lot will do some research on these spots

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,804 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

I was born and raised in Minneapolis - it would definitely be on my list. I've also lived in Pittsburgh and Memphis - both fit your needs. Not mentioned yet is Portland, OR . Nashville, New Orleans, and Austin are all great spots for music, culture, fun, etc. St. Louis and Cincinnati are different as well. Will you be renting a car, or are you needing public transportation? Because of some these places are more transportation friendly than others.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

I'm not sure if this would be the kind of thing you are looking for, but I was in Washington DC in March for a few days and loved it. So much history and the main 'tourist' areas are lovely and well maintained.

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

History: Williamsburg Virginia. You can also visit Yorktown and Jametown (oldest English settlement).

Waterfalls: Niagra Falls first comes to mind but Washington state has several around Seattle. You could check this data base for waterfalls in the US. worldwaterfalldatabase.com/country/…

One other place full of extremely nice people and more an amusement type place full of entertainment but they also have some wonderful fishing lakes in the surrounding ozark mountains is Branson Missouri one of my favorite stops when I travel.

Another place I like is Acworth Georgia or Red top mountain state park just north of Acworth. Good fishing lakes!

7. Re: 2 new/random usa stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17