We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for my next vacation

Saint Paul...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestion for my next vacation

I just got back from nearly 2 weeks driving through the SW US. It was really fun but not as relaxing as I'd have liked. For my vacation next year, I'd like to relax as much as possible.

Ideally I'd like somewhere where I could walk out of the hotel/resort, onto the beach, and just stay there reading and occasionally swimming/snorkeling. I'm not looking to drive anywhere while I'm there. The location should be $250 or less per night and should have good food available on site for any meal (not room service). USA or territories would be best, but not a deal breaker. I don't speak any languages other than English. The place MUST have electricity and should have wifi somewhere nearby, and a private bathroom. Other in room amenities are just fluff and are unlikely to be used.

I've been looking at Maui and St. John, but haven't yet found a place that fits these criteria. My fallback is Yellowstone. I haven't been there and I am going to go some time, but it's not the relaxing vacation I'd like next year.

I am looking for specific resort/hotel recommendations, not just general locations. Time of year to travel is flexible.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for my next vacation

Kodai, because you are looking at America specifically and it's a heck of a big place you might get more ideas on the forums for the areas you are considering or the more general Holiday forum or Beach forum.

On the right of the page Beyond Destination Forums click on See All.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for my next vacation

Kodai1,

i can see why your trip to the SW USA sucked - from driving! It takes a tool on you and is the major reason i dont do driving on my vacation. Unfortunately in the USA, driving is how you get there many times than not.

As far as Maui goes, you will have to drive there too, but whats nice its just a island. you cant go too far without running out of road.

as far as the 250 USD/night goes, i think thats doable. i go in Januarys and the most ive spent in Kauai is 120/Night on the beach.

Food. thats relative. what you may think is "good food" is pig slop to others, so i will let those experts give their 0.02 for the food.

Snorkeling. Dont do it, yet, but some parts/areas of the islands i wouldnt do it due to the rip tides/strong currents. But you could probably get more info from the locals and the people in the sport.

Ensuite Bathroom. So far ive never stayed anywhere in the USA or Hawaii w/o an ensuite bathroom. One thing nice about being a "young" country is that the plumbing/layout is newer.

3. Re: Suggestion for my next vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 07:16