We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to America solo

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to America solo

I'm looking to travel America in 2016, starting off in Florida for a 50th birthday holiday then travel upwards with last stop being New York. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and as I'm going alone will it be easy?

Also how much does anyone think I will need for around 3 months of traveling with at least 10 states...

If anyone knows anywhere to find a SAFE travel companion also, it would be much appreciated.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to America solo

Hey, I have only been to NYC on the East Coast so I won't be a great help on that part. As for a good place to find people to travel with, have a look at travbuddy.com . I joined there before I went on my first solo trip to the US and met some really cool people from that site while I was there!

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to America solo

Well, I'm an East Coaster. They will only be about 28 million other people traveling north and south along that route, the most heavily traveled corridor in the U.S. There are buses galore, from Greyhound to Asian buses that are dirt cheap, trains, planes and millions of cars and trucks. There are all sorts of tourist destinations, from cities to beaches, history and nature. It all depends upon your tastes.

It's the most expensive area of the U.S., though of course multiple ways exist to do it on the cheap.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to America solo

I have traveled between NYC and Florida by train, bus, plane, and car alone. I recommend figuring out where you would like to go first. Then look into the mode of travel and time needed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to America solo

To enjoy your travel ...stay away from Buses and try Amtrak. Great ride, great scenery, interesting people and great stories enjoy.

Check all the wonderful train routes

http://www.amtrak.com/train-routes

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to America solo

In the past I would have told people to stay away from the bus, but Greyhound has added Express which I recommend as an option now https://www.greyhound.com/Express/ . But, I would pick Amtrak first.

6. Re: Travelling to America solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:15