We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Holiday Alone

9 posts
Save Topic
First Holiday Alone

I am a single lady looking to go away on holiday by myself and I am wondering firstly, if it is safe and not stupid to do this (many people seem to be ready to tell you that it's a very stupid thing to do!) I am willing myself not to listen to them....

Secondly, which destinations are excellent for a woman travelling alone? I would like a little bit of beach, some solitude, wonderful scenery, some good shopping, entertainment for evening where I won't feel completely out of place sitting on my own, a dab into the buzz of the city, somewhere pleasantly warm in temperature but not stiflingly hot, things to see, things to do, great food, nice wine - just a beautiful place to go on my own.

I have never travelled alone and this would be my first time.

Any ideas and/or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you so much :)

36 replies to this topic
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Holiday Alone

You write like a Brit so consider a short hop to one of our European neighbours. Everywhere obvious is as safe as home with the usual common sense.

I have a particular love of Croatia - Dubrovnik and Split would, I think , meet your requirements. Others might suggest parts of Italy, Greece and Cyprus. All great.

If you are very, very worried about doing it alone (and you really shouldn't be) then companies like 'Just You' might be a first step to solo travel.

Have a great time.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,415 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Holiday Alone

Gillian it would help to know which country you are from.

How far you want to travel, your budget?

As with anyone travelling if you do your research into the place you are going you can stay safe. You need to look at the local travel scams, which are the safe areas, no go areas and as with anywhere in the world, don't get drunk, keep an eye on your drink and don't go wandering around the streets alone at night. Neither leave with a stranger. Stick to a licensed taxi pre arranged or somewhere close to your accommodation.

I think you will see that this is just sensible for anywhere around your home or abroad. Knowing the area and keeping sensible, preparing is the key.

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Holiday Alone

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am from Scotland. I'd' like to go to somewhere lovely and, probably because it is my first time on my own, I would rather not waste a whole day travelling. I could probably work up to that once I have found my feet. Budget is not restricted.

Thanks so much for your reply and sound advice! :)

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Holiday Alone

Thank you for your reply. Is it very hot in Croatia?.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Holiday Alone

I (single female) went to Croatia in June 2006. Extract from my journal: "Landed [at Zagreb airport]. Stifling hot. I can well believe it's 38 degrees as Internet forecast said... [a couple of days later] Wandered about, still very hot and humid..."

I live in Israel and am accustomed to heat, but I found Croatia very hot. I don't know whether it was usual for the time of year. You can search the Internet for average weather conditions, but average is just that. It doesn't tell you what the weather will be on any date in the future!

Start by looking at where you can you get flights to from your local airport. You don't want to go somewhere that involves a long train journey to get to (for example) Heathrow, before you even start. I always choose my holiday destinations (I like to go somewhere different every year) based on where I can conveniently fly to. I don't know where in Scotland you are, but as an example I Googled Glasgow airport and this came up:

glasgowairport.com/destination-inspiration/

Oh, and absolutely not stupid or unsafe to go alone. Just use common sense, as already said. Don't do anything that you wouldn't do at home. The supreme advantage of travelling alone is that you do what YOU want to do. You don't spend half your time arguing with a travel companion whose interests may not be the same as yours, who may be a night owl when you want a good night's sleep before an early start the next day (or the reverse), and whose budget may not be the same as yours.

Wherever you choose to go, have a great trip!

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Holiday Alone

I am thinking about a beach retreat, perhaps with some meditation thrown in and the option of activities also. I would like my accommodation to be right on the beach. Does anyone know of any companies who organise this type of holiday. The key thing would be flying from Scotland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Holiday Alone

Thank you very much for your help and advice!! :)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,415 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Holiday Alone

Yes, you know exactly what you want and it's not the sort of thing that's offered by high street travel agents so you have all the hallmarks of a solo traveller ;-)

As Shuffaluff said look first at the destinations from Glasgow (which has the most) then start looking in those places for your meditation on the coast.

Your desires are very specific. Most likely in the Mediterranian area so not long flights. You could also ask on the destination forums when you know where you can fly to. See if there are any recommendations before you have to do too much research. But remember to fulfill your dreams you may have to do a lot of research. I can guarantee it is worth it though. Don't forget to check the places you find on the reviews. You can look at solo reviews of each place by clicking onto the solo reviews bar above the reviews. They often have useful tips about the area and good places for solos to go.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 11:26
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Holiday Alone

Thank you for that, most helpful of you. I have had a scout around and I am fancying the Alma Del Pacifico Beach Hotel + Spa in Costa Rica. It looks quite stunning and right up my street!. Can anyone tell me the best month to go when it is not too hot but still nice and warm....or is it hot there all year round?

P n
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Holiday Alone

Hi Gillian

I am also in your shoes and trying to plan my first solo holiday....I have decided on Canada. Have you considered this? It potentially has a lot of what you would like e.g. beautiful scenery, some beaches sea areas (depending on where in Canada you go), good weather and there are meditation retreats there. Also for a first solo trip, for me it was important that it was English speaking as its one less thing to worry about but you might not be concerned with that. Afraid I cant comment on Costa Rica as I have never been, but depending on when you are wanting to travel might be best to check out when rainy season is there! Hope you have a great time away though!

Reply to: First Holiday Alone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted