We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

Belfast, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

Hey

hoping for some help, 25 year old irish male. travelling to NYC on 23/6 staying for 3 nights. Staying at NYMA hotel on 32nd street. using the time to get away from recent troubles and just want to go an enjoy myself would love to meet up with others and make new friends, however i hear the locals in NYC are great too! I know i want to go see 9/11 memorialm central park etc. Anyone know of any good friendly bars i can enjoy in the eveings?

Also heading on to Las Vegas on 27/6 for 4 nights, now i know LV is a place that is constantly buzzing but just a bit wary of being on my own, is this also a place many people travel to alone here?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

Hi,

MANY MANY people go to NYC alone! I think they go to Las Vegas alone too.

The best place to get specific info about a city is on the forum for that city.

You may find folks planning a Trip Advisor meet up which would be fun for you.

Even if not they will give you advice about the best parties(Las Vegas) and the best spots to have dinner alone in bar areas of restaurants(NYC).

Here are some links:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g45963-i10-Las_Veg…

Have a great trip!!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

g_stewart1989,

havent been to NYC yet,

But have been to Vegas several times. Its not called Sin City for nothing. Its about gambling and outside of the area is one of the few places where prostitution is legal in the USA.

You will see all types of people there including families, couples of both and same sexes and singles.

just so you know, walking around LV isn't as easy as other places since their blocks are much larger than a "normal" (whatever that is) block for a US city.

have fun and try not to loose too much $$$.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
584 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

For NYC if it's your first time do the usual tourist things in midtown, and when you are done head down to east/west villiages and soho. They are more of a neighborhood feel about them.

Down that way st. Marks is an interesting street to explore, and I always fall into a good conversation at mcsorleys with other travelers. I will usually head there for an afternoon drink though. Another spot that I've had good conversation was at Loreley and good beer

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

Both cities, NYC and Las Vegas, are great for solo travellers.

wigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

I only have experience of New York (as a female) but you'll be fine - I was scared stiff as its kind of more intimidating as a female but it was UNREAL! everyone in the shops / tourist locations make you feel so welcome and want to make your experience as enjoyable as possible and I never once felt lonely or alone so just go for it and I hope it helps you forget your troubles xx

Birmingham
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

This gives me great hope as I wanted to visit DC by myself but was scared people would treat me funny... Thanks!

7. Re: Travelling to NYC and Vegas alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions