We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on travel plan? Input required :D

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on travel plan? Input required :D

Hey guys,

I am planning a trip for September and I am getting a bit stuck in my ideas and need some inspiration and/or suggestions/thoughts from you guys (there might be the possibility I am just thinking and obsessing too much about this as well).

I intend on going away for 5 weeks in September (that’s the plan anyway) and want to see a few places (giving the limited time – I feel it would be crazy trying to be unrealistic and overtly ambitious with this plan as it would become a box checking exercise with a lot of time spent in transit). The rough plan at the moment is a week and a half in Hong Kong (during which time I would spend a few days in Taipei); 2 weeks in Sydney; 1 week in New York and a couple of days I have no clue what to do with *cue your suggestions :D*.

I would be spending time in the big apple with some friends so won’t be keen on moving that (that's the only part of the trip that isn't done solo). Sydney, whilst I understand might be a bit of a challenge exploring in 2 weeks – it’s about the best I can do with the time available (so why not!). I love Asia and having spent a couple of weeks in South East Asia then in Central Asia, I want to see more of the lovely continent.

Is there anywhere else within reach of these cities that would be a nice detour for the rest of the time or does this plan in earnest need a bit of a shake up? Is there a way to optimize the plan to get a better experience from the limited time away?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on travel plan? Input required :D

It looks good to me though I'm no expert on multiple destinations.

A couple of days? where? which end of the trip are the couple of days?

Two days isn't really time to get anywhere new. The only option I can see is to find somewhere interesting outside of NY that won't take too much time in a journey. Bet there is somewhere

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on travel plan? Input required :D

Ayodeji O,

to me it looks like youre bouncing around alot, but since you have 5 weeks, it may not be that bad. I try to maximize my time on the ground pounding pavement than to warm up seats.

also, you can spend months in a place and not do/see it all too.

If you want to go to those places and have the $$$ (time looks okay to me) then id say go for it.

3. Re: Thoughts on travel plan? Input required :D

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 07:20