We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wanting to travel solo but what to do??

leeds
11 posts
Save Topic
wanting to travel solo but what to do??

Hi there, this may sound strange but I have a couple of free weeks, not much but I want to go away try solo travel for the first time. Im used to travelling around mostly in Europe, been hitch hiking etc. But never alone.

So anyway...im used to going around cities mainly. I want to try something new, see some amazing views, I enjoy photography and would like to go canoeing or climbing, hiking etc. Just try some new things.

So my question is...where do I start with something like this? Country wise im not sure but also when travelling around is it best to plan in advance if im wanting to go offtbe beaten track a bit?

Thanks

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,490 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wanting to travel solo but what to do??

Why not start with Scotland? An amazing place for big skies, mountains, coast and wildlife. Even the Northern Lights. There's all the islands, some small and quiet, some miles out.

Exmoor has all you suggest and coasteering.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wanting to travel solo but what to do??

55jamie406,

its amazing how many people ignore their own back yards when it comes to travel. I guess is sort of a human genetic thingy.

but from what i understand there are some hiking trails thru the highlands. My co worker is from Scotland and he showed me the trials and the swimming holes he use to frequent when he was younger. On my bus tour up to Lock Ness we drove by the swimming hole and trails.

Theres also some lake up there where you have to hike in and he plans on taking his family back there in the next few years.

If i was more of the hiking type, it looked like an easy/moderate hike.

good luck.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wanting to travel solo but what to do??

Where to start? Hints and advice here: wanderlustandlipstick.com/wandertips/solo/

4. Re: wanting to travel solo but what to do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:15