We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

Texas
Level Contributor
726 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

Would appreciate any tips/advice for next year's summer vacation!

Just returned from my first international travel (Italy) and had a marvelous time. The jet lag contributed, I know, but what a hole in my heart already to be home.

I've greeted all my friends and family, shown my pictures, unpacked and cleaned my house...now it's time to get started on next year!

I'm considering Denmark, mostly because my dad wants me to look up long lost relatives, lol, and have had thoughts of Amsterdam, Brussels and France.

However, I've had my fill of museums, palaces and churches!

I can tell one regret is that I never got the opportunity to see the coast- neither cinque terre, nor southern tip of amalfi region. Greece would be beautiful, but it is so near italy which now, I've checked off my list.

My trip was to the major cities, and I missed out on the countryside too. I had wanted to hunt truffles or see the olive oil process, but my timing of year was not right.

Would love to see Bali, but I have to watch my budget!

So, this trip, maybe I would love to see more beautiful oceans...more personal culture and food.

I'm female and older, but had absolutely no problems with all the cobblestone and steps in Venice, Florence, and Rome! (Pretty proud of that!)

Thank you all for any advice! There is a big world out there!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,263 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

You can travel between Greek islands, there are loads of them. With some planning you can stay off the touist trail and eat more local. You could see the olive oil process too.

Costa Rica, Sri Lanka, the Azores.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

DeniseD722,

congrats on your solo trip.

as you found out not planing can have its down side, so if you have certain things you want to do/see, planning will make that happen instead of just "hoping for the best".

As far as museums/palaces and churches go, everyone is different and has something to offer. If they weren't, then you could go into your local church/palace/museum and see all there is to see. So, with the other homework, you can do some goggling and see what each museum/church has to offer. Just doing some minimal homework can help make some decisions for you.

IE. Like the one in Czech Rep. that I'm going to this Sept is in Kunta Hora and has an interior of human bones. Im going to see it since its something i can't see around my neck of the woods and it intrigues my darker side.

http://www.ossuary.eu/index.php/en/

as far as the greek islands go, i havent been there, yet.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

I would strongly recommend Croatia.

The Istria peninsula on Croatia's Adriatic Coast is the truffle capital of the world. The entire Adriatic coastline is incredibly beautiful and you should be able to find the right stretch of coast. The food is awesome. If you want history and walled cities and cobblestones, there is Dubrovnik or, if you prefer an island, Korcula. And Plitvice Lakes is may well be the most beautiful natural wonder in all of Europe.

While there are some similarities to Italy (Venice or Italy has controlled portions of the coast at various times), it is a whole different culture. It is also more affordable. And if you want something mountainous, combine a Croatia visit with a trip into Slovenia.

Texas
Level Contributor
726 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

Hey thanks for the tips so far! I'm checking out each and every recommendation! I might have some questions, later on, as I'm not familiar with many countries and what they have to offer. Should have paid more attentionin geography and social studies classes, lol.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you and let you know I'm still listening!

:)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

A big factor is: how much time do you have???

If you have say, 3 weeks, you could combine Amsterdam and another location. There are loads of cheap flights from Amsterdam to Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey, the UK etc etc. www.skyscanner.com

You could even fly open jaw from the US: for example fly Dallas - Amsterdam, then a cheap flight (which you buy seperately or not) to Athens for example, then fly Athens - Dallas (if that is a destination with good prices for connections to the US).

Amsterdam has something to offer for everyone, especially in summer. Sure, there are world-reknowned museums and monuments and such. But you can also choose to just wander the beautiful streets alongside the canals aimlessly, bumping into quaint cafes, funky little shops, nice restaurants, markets... Have picknicks in parks like the locals... visit one of many outdoor festivals... do a daytrip to another town or to the shore (though our beaches are grey and the water a bit cold)... Amsterdam is a very mellow place, a village-like city with a slow pace, yet also an international vibe and all the conveniences of a capital city and important European transport hub. (Can you tell I am biased? ;-)) Most people wish they had planned more time for their visit.

I also love Porto in Portugal, and Lisbon, and Ericeira... Porto is only a 15 minute bike ride or tram ride from the lovely beaches. And absurdly cheap for food and drinks.

Croatia was mentioned above; friends of mine also love that, and it's high on my list. They talked of beautiful green mountain scenery, castles, beaches, nice people, good food.

"Should have paid more attentionin geography and social studies classes, lol."

Ha ha... well no matter, it is changing anyway, and you can easily read up online or in guidebooks. :-)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 09 July 2014, 10:24
Texas
Level Contributor
726 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

As far as my limitations- I can travel any time after the first week in June until the first week in August, so I usuallly say from mid-June to end of July. I think next year I might put off to the later part of my time off, though as it might give me more to look forward to. It's so hard to be satisfied at home after Rome!

So summer season it is!

Finannces are tricky, I need to save everywhere that it is feasible! For me it's kind if a trade off, if I spend more in one area, I have to be more careful in other areas. This past trip, my hotel in Venice was very nice, followed by a charming budget well located hotel in Florence, and then in Rome, I went for location. The hotel there was not to my liking, but it was not terribly expensive.

One thing I learned is that I could have stayed about five more days in a budget hotel, and I wished that I'd known that. I was in Italy for 12 days, thought that was all I could afford. Three days in Venice was too much, I could have gotten by with two. Three days in Florence was just right, and five days in Rome was just right. I could have gone to the coast if I'd known before to extend my time.

So this trip, I want to visit several different places of interest...and make sure I see some beautiful oceans, cliffs and culture! And limit the statues, museums and churches for this time! :) I'd like to be a bit more active than snapping photos,keep in mind I'm old, though, Lol, but I want to pick olives, roast coffee, drink wine....

I loved riding the train, so that wold be preferable to flying from place to place, I think it is less expensive.

So far, everything points to Western Europe. I've never been almost everywhere. This is where I need the advice! Greece? Is Turkey safe? Amsterdam Paris Barcelona? The Mediterranean? The Pacific! South America?

15 days?

What is a reasonable budget?

Please! Thanks for the advice.

7. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 16:49
Edited: 10 July 2014, 16:49
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

Denise, I fear that a scatter gun approach will leave you more confused.

So.. some basics.

Sort your flights out first. You are travelling close to peak period in Europe, and international flight prices will increase the later you leave it to book.

Flying into and out of the big "hub" airports gives you more options on availability, range of carriers and consequently.. price! Consider open jaw options which get you into one city and then back out from another.

Cheap flights within Europe... may not be as cheap as you think. The schools and uni's are closing from late June onwards, and that's when other Europeans are going on their holidays.

I'd strongly suggest you consider using the European train network to get around Europe.The major advantage for trains, is that they go directly from city to city, without the hassle and cost of getting to and from airports. Trains also cover area's not well served by planes. See www.seat61.com for anything related to train travel... excellent site!

Destinations: Southern, Central and Eastern Europe are the cheapest destinations in Europe. Italy and Southern France can be the most expensive destinations in southern Europe. I'd suggest limiting your destinations to where you can comfortably afford.

Possibilities.....Spain, Portugal,France, Malta, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Turkey. This still gives you a vast amount of choice. If you want beaches, cut out landlocked countries.

If you want to concentrate on islands, then Greece is the obvious choice.

With 15 days, you'll need to knock off travelling days, particularly if you have a restricted flight schedule.

I appreciate this is your trip not mine, but I'd suggest flights to and from Athens, and then island hopping.

Or..... Fly into Lisbon, cover the Portugese coast ( and Porto!) , and then travel to Spain.

Or....... Spain and a ferry to Morroco.

Within Spain youi could fly into Madrid, train to Granada, use this as a base for Seville, Cordoba, and Toledo, then train to Barcelona and the whole of the Costa Brava coast. You can also get flights and ferries to Ibiza from Barcelona.

Or...... Flight to Istanbul, and either coach or internal flights to the Turkish Med coast.

Or...... Fight to Paris, then train down to Nice and the southern French Med coast

Or..... Flight in and out of one of the main German city hub airports ( Berlin is the largest and a great destination in it's own right) and a train to ..... Vienna or Prague or Budapest.

I'd also suggest you get hold of a copy of Lonely Planet Europe on a Shoestring. I have a feeling you'll need it for future years!

9. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 22:51
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo travel destination summer 2015 suggestions

"Does anyone have a favorite trip they could describe! Just knowing which locations to bundle together would be helpful."

I absolutely loved Andalucia where I spent 3 weeks and could easily have enjoyed myself for 3 more.

I spent a week in Seville for some semi-advanced Spanish lessons, loved spending the remaining hours of my days exploring the city... The moor palace, flamenco show, lovely park, arab baths, cute streets and squares, fantastic tapas, all in super friendly and safe vibe, geared strongly to social, outdoor life deep into the night (whole families hanging out) and siestas in the afternoon.

Then I rented a car for two weeks and explored all kinds of pretty white villages and nice cities, some of which by the shore. Driving was easy, except in the bigger cities proper.

Especially Ronda is spectacular, just 'google image' it.

I think you can easily combine this region with Madrid too, but mind the heat there.

Cecilia

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html