We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Safety - Europe ..??

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passport Safety - Europe ..??

Hi there,

I am travelling to Europe next few months and have a few questions and after some tips on how to travel through safely with my passport.

I will be travelling with 2 passports (1 AUS, 1EU), and as have never travelled Europe i am unfamiliar with what to do with it during the day/night

Is it safe to say I should have on my body (in money belt) at all times (sightseeing in day and going out at night)

OR

Is it fairly safe to wrap up in clothes and leave in suitcase at hostel.

If you have had experience please let me know as am confused as to what to do with Passports..

Thanks

Nick

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

depends on where you are visiting,some countries require you to have some form of ID on you at all times (The UK is not one of them).In most cases a photo copy of your passport will suffice but in 40 years of travelling I have never been asked for ID apart for at borders at hotel check in and in some banks in the days I used traveller Cheques.

Most hostels have secure locker areas for your bags and or safes you can keep your valuables in.

Lakenheath, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

I am currently in Europe traveling and I keep mine in my locker at the hostel. I carry a good MasterLock with me. I keep my Picture ID with me at all times. BTW...if you are staying in London at all Palmers Hostel is wonderful! A little out-of-the-way from tourist attractions but the trains are so quick that you hardly notice.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,988 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

I definitely agree with unclegus. I've got a drivers license, which I will carry around with me - and a copy of my passport photo page. My actual passport stays locked up in my room safe.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,767 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

Nicko_Hutch,

i dont do hostels. But i will say that i keep my passport on me 24/7. Dont trust the cheap hotel safes and such.

I have one of those necklace pouches i keep my passport and extra $$$ in.

do whatever you feel comfortable with. just a coment about hostels. Even tho i dont use them i have done some homework into them so all of the ones ive looked at had some lockers to use. as mentioned get a good padlock or something and put your valuables in there. Not that it wont keep someone that is determined to get into it, hopeflully they will move onto the next one w/o the lock.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,021 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

I prefer to have mine locked away. Feel very uncomfortable on the very few occasions I've needed to take it out with me.

Always keep a photocopy in your luggage anyway, along with your travel insurance certificate and phone numbers for your credit card, phone stolen number, Flight ticket nos, so that should you loose anything it is only an inconvenience and you can give the info quickly & accurately. If you don't have those numbers on you it becomes a major, time consuming hassle trying to do something about it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

Well I would carry the EU one with you as you can get so many discounts into the museums and attractions...some even free to EU citizens. I would take a drivers license for a photo ID to leave when you need to hire audio guides etc. So many times I was asked for ID so glad I had mine on me, even though I did not intend to drive.

I used a money belt around my tummy that I pushed into my trousers for passport etc only when travelling between towns and on trains etc.

most times I left my passport in my bag in the hotel room but it was locked with a padlock. I never left it at the hotel recpetion....some hotels have the door keys hanging within easy reach for anyone, so in thise places I took it with me for the day. Sometimes I had it zipped away in my travel handbag that goes across my shoulder and chest. By the way, nearly every man in europe carries a man bag and plenty of travellers use those strong nylong type travel bags..they are handy, for camera, water bottle, maps...so much stuff you need to carry when you are a tourist...woman and man alike♡

7. Re: Passport Safety - Europe ..??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:17