We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relaxing solo vacation

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
relaxing solo vacation

Looking to take a solo vacation in late September / early October. Live in Los Angeles and I'm looking for somewhere with a fairly easy plane ride and a nice resort where I really relax and recharge....maybe do a day or so of exploring. I'm in my early 30s, male, gay, single...looking for a nice resort, ok with spending a few extra bucks for the right place.

anyone have a suggestion.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relaxing solo vacation

jake j: Using words like "easy plane ride" and "nice resort" - are very subjective for many readers. A good place to start would be your budget for airfare and budget for hotel/resort? Do you have a passport for international travel? How far is too far of a plane ride? For reference, there are several places where I can recharged, right in California or Arizona. For example - Palm Springs, Napa Valley (Wine Country), Tahoe, San Diego, maybe Phoenix. But, maybe you had something else in mind (like Mexico, for example)? Please share as much as you can about your own needs/wants/wishes.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relaxing solo vacation

All reasonable points and questions by bk_t1.

I would consider Mexico...the Baja Peninsula because it's not too far from LA. Since it's close, lucky for you because I think Mexican resorts have the friendliest service of anywhere I've been, and you'll be able to take your pick of AI resorts.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relaxing solo vacation

Good suggestion in #2 - but, if OP does not have a passport or plans (and funds) to get one, as mentioned in my post, Mexico is out.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 18:27
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relaxing solo vacation

My thinking was if he decides reasonably soon, he'll be able to get a passport by late August or September, earlier if he wants to pay for expedited. :-)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relaxing solo vacation

I'm guessing the poster is looking for a place that is either gay friendly or gay "very friendly." Add in the adjectives "relaxing," and "solo travel friendly," resorts of varying degree of luxury, close but not too close (which eliminates Palm Springs), and with more to do than just lay on a beach. And the answer is ...

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Second choice: South Florida.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: relaxing solo vacation

LOL I love Puerto Vallarta. Everybody should go there.

I didn't recommend it because it's hard to explore for one day, since there's so much to do. I thought of the gay scene which it's very friendly there, but it sounded like he wanted to keep it simple since he said "really relax and recharge".

Also, September is the rainest month. October gets better but often later in the month. I was there in May and June which is low season, and the gay scene was dead and there were almost no tourists in PV. So, I would save PV for a winter getaway. But, it's definitely one of my fav places on earth.

7. Re: relaxing solo vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:17