We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travelling Bangkok

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
Solo Travelling Bangkok

Hi everybody!

I'm intending to travel to Bangkok for about 10 days in October, but it'll be my first time going alone and I'm honestly quite scared. (I'm 18 and female) I'll be staying in a hostel, and I was hoping to get a travel buddy there. But my main aim is to shop and relax. Is it possible as they say? Also, will it be safe?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

I travelled solo from London to Bangkok a few years back and didnt'

have a problem I quite enjoyed it. Even took the train to Chang Mai on my own!

But then I am much older than you, but it was my first solo trip!

Just be very careful with your money and passport and always be aware of your surroundings

Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

Bangkok is quite safe for females as long as you stay in the right areas and be smart. Your should book your hostel in the Khaosan area with about 100,000 other backpackers. Don't stay in the Sukhumvit area. It is still safe, but much more crazy crowd of mostly men.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

I'm planning to travel to Bangkok on March 7 or 8,, 2015 from Canada it will be my first time going alone I was hoping to get a travel buddy there.

I am just hoping to find someone, so I can enjoy my trip.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

Please read this: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k7346346…

and this: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k2413340…

[I am just hoping to find someone, so I can enjoy my trip.]

If you cannot enjoy yourself without another person, then I don't think solo travel is for you. There will always be moments when you have no one else to talk to.

As for finding someone to do the entire trip with: do you really want to spend 24/7 of such an intense thing as a foreign trip with a complete stranger that you know nothing about, and who you may not click with at all?

This whol Solo Travel forum is filled with experienced solo travelers who enjoy traveling alone. If you have any questions about what it is like or specific points you are worried about, then feel free to ask. But this is not a forum to look for travel buddies because obviously then you would not be solo anymore. Also, it is unsafe to meet random strangers through the internet, with lots of valuables on you. If you do, then at least use a website with some safety features and 'references' (reviews) built in, like Couchsurfing. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k6934461… Not an unmonitored site such as TripAdvisor.

I also wrote some tips on how to meet people while traveling solo in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12357-k8034984…

But again, in order to travel solo you have to be a type of person who can enjoy doing things on his/her own, and who does that at home too... for example visit a market, a museum, a beach, wander through a town.

Edited: 02 January 2015, 23:36
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,723 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

Matloobalvi

Bangkok is a wonderful destination for solo travellers, and a good stepping stone from which to travel to the rest of Thailand....and Cambodia !

The Bangkok travel forum here in trip advisor is bursting with up to date information, reviews and trip reports, and it's a very friendly forum.

If you are planning on travelling through Thailand itself, then a good guide book, like Lonely Planet or a Rough Guide would be well worth getting, not just because of the tourist information, but also both guides provide extensive city and regional maps, & historical, cultural and geographical information.

As Cecile has pointed out, the Solo forum is not designed to provide a Buddy Search, but if you have any general questions about Solo travel, then posters here will be more than happy to help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

Hey I'm from Toronto and going in October. How did it go?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,723 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

Noreen09..... the original poster dappyb hasn't posted in trip advisor since last July, and may no longer be visiting this website.

You could send a "direct message" by clicking on dappyb's name (just under their avatar) which will take you to their profile page. On the left hand side of that page you will see a box which says "send a message", Click on that, and this will produce a template for sending private messages. You may get a repy, but only if dappyb is still using the trip advisor website.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

As Sunsandsuffing said if you stay in the right place, it's safe for you. In my opinion (I'm Thai) Khaosan has a lot of hostel but it's not safe for me. If you would like to hang out, it's good.

Your main aim is shopping and relax. Do you have the place in your plan? If you stay near the BTS or MRT will be comfortable to travel ex.museum, store, temple etc.

Travel alone is the challenge. Good luck and have a safe trip. ^^

9. Re: Solo Travelling Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions