We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young female solo travel to Japan - need advice!

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Young female solo travel to Japan - need advice!

I'm 19 years old and am going to Japan for just over two weeks by myself before moving onto SE Asia, the one thing that i'm really concerned about is navigating the railway system and being unable to understand the station names and platforms. Here's my itinerary;

Staying with a friend in Kyoto for 6 days

Taking the train to Hiroshima - hostel booked for 2 nights

Taking the train to Nikko (via Tokyo?) - hostel booked for 3 nights

Taking the train from Nikko to Tokyo where I will stay for 4 nights

I'm going to purchase a 7 day rail pass for travel to each place.

So my question is - is Japan's rail system hard for foreigners to navigate? Are station names displayed in English? and any other advice for my time travelling solo in Japan?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young female solo travel to Japan - need advice!

Hello,

You might get more specific information if you also post your question on the Japan forums, Kyoto forum etc.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young female solo travel to Japan - need advice!

Gemma, Avanti is right - but I suggest you read the Trip Report , first one on the Top Questions has one on Japan that answers your question and more. I think you will find it helpful.

If you are on a phone and can't see them post here and I'll put the link in.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young female solo travel to Japan - need advice!

Train travel in Japan is easy. Most of the signage is in Japanese and English, as are the announcements. You've also got the station and JR attendants who are very helpful. I never once got lost or caught the wrong train. Hyperdia is a useful resource for planning your trips.

4. Re: Young female solo travel to Japan - need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 06:15