We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

New Delhi
Level Contributor
175 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

So, i am 27 years old male from India. Been to few countries and big cities in last few years. Here is my story:

Recently, i have been thinking about waking up in the middle of jungle where i feel lucky that the lion isn't sitting right outside my cabin and i can go out to pee. Once i get my morning coffee, i start planning on what route i am going to take to trek to the next stop in the jungle, while my guide and another friend i met on trek tells me the story about recent attack on that route. It rains almost every day and today we have to delay our trek because of the rain again. Starts getting a little cold so we light the fire on the side of very small river by our cabin. Cook our meal and get to next stop as the rain stops. When i lay down to sleep at night, i pray that my wife is in good health since i can't speak with her for another 5 days.

So, thats really what i am looking for i guess. Deep jungle adventure, true forest experience in rainy areas. 6-8 days would be ideal but i am flexible. Money is no problem, well i guess it is. I would like to keep it under $5k or so.

Please suggest good countries, places for this kind of forest experience? Amazon forests? i don't know, all my travel is been to Boston and melbourne and dubai and new york... see where i am going with this?

Thanks, it already feels good to at least write down where i want to go.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,510 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

Can't quite follow your post Mohit M . What do you want to know?

Would be dangerous to do this on your own but there are walking safaris and camping ones. You would need to ask on the Destination Forum for the country you would like to visit.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

Sounds tome like he wants to do something like wild camping. Possibly too dangerous to do this on your own somewhere with wild animals like lions!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

I slept at campsites in Africa where elephants, hippos, monkeys, hyena's and who knows what else roamed around after dark (= 6 pm) and indeed you could not go pee without being very very careful. We saw the hyenas right after dark (with the light of our fires and flashlights), and elephants in daytime even. I did not drink after a certain time so I would not have to go out of my tent at night. You heard animals scurrying around the tent all night and you didn't know which ones, but it was a popular hippo river. Hippos are one of the most lethal animals for humans (when they feel threatened). The first night I hardly slept a wink but was also fascinated. But the animals do not attack tents if there is no food in them. (Just like they won't attack humans in a jeep, but might attack walking humans.)

At the campsite in Zambia (Flatdogs Camp, South Luangwa NP) elephant families even crossed right through the middle of the campsite around 4 pm every day, it had been their route for longer than the camp was there. If you were in the toilet building at that time, bad luck... You'd just have to wait, because there is always at least one baby elephant in the group and the adult females can get very agressive if they feel you might threaten the baby.

At the Ngorongoro Crater (Tanzania) we also camped between the wild animals. One dumb tourist kept cookies in his tent, big mistake, in the morning there was a loud racket and it turned out a wild boar or warthog had destructed the tent to get to those cookies. At Serengeti and Lake Manyara we also camped out in the open but somehow less animals came close to the tents there.

In South Luangwa you could also do walking safaris (didn't do that), and night safaris by open jeep in the pitch dark (did that, very cool and very exciting!)... Only until 8pm because after that they leave the animals in peace.

I wouldn't call that scenery 'jungle' or 'forest'. It's pretty dry and open in parts. Look up what the scenery of South Luangwa and Serengeti and Ngorongoro is called, I only know the Dutch words (savanne?).

In Tanzania I also did a cultural tour of 3 days in Kondoa and surroundings, was the only non-Tanzanian for days, and amongst many other cool things like visiting craftspeople, a medicine woman, a natural spring, and 4000 year old rock paintings, I joined a nighttime honey harvest, also in the pitch datk in an area with hyenas and lions, so that was very exciting. Not only because of the angry bees! :-)

Is that the kind of experiences you are looking for? I did group safaris (3 different times, 4 days each in Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia), which are expensive enough. (And the cultural tour on top of that in Tanzania was a 3 day private tour with a guide, staying in a hotel.)

The campsites during the safaris were basic but sort of organized and permanent, with toilets and kitchens (all very primitive). Indeed sometimes I had no electricity or phone coverage for days but that was in 2000 and 2004. Don't know what that's like now. I guess if you go to lesser developped parks like Ruaha in Tanzania you can still find yourself 'in the middle of nowhere' and disconnected from humanity. Even South Luangwa in Zambia may still be like that, Zambia seems less popular than Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa... But South Luangwa is supposed to be one of the best national parks of Africa even though it's less famous.

I think you may want to do a private safari with a guide. And perhaps you want to go during rainy season because you keep talking about rain? Apparently that increases your chances of seeing lions and such because they have less dry places to hide.

Hope this helps.

I guess the Amazon also offers adventures. A much more moist and densely grown, greener environment with more mosquitos and other little creepers and suckers. You will see less wildlife there though.

You may also want to look into the Pantanal in Brazil.

But for me, Africa is roughest of all... Many of those animals are so ancient and primitive, like crocs, elephants, hippos, rhinos... You can just imagine them roaming the earth before humans even existed.

Good luck choosing. And doesn't your wife want to come?

Cecilia

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl

Edited: 05 August 2014, 00:52
New Delhi
Level Contributor
175 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

Wife is gone for 6 months for her studies, i figured i could use this time for my fascinating travels.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

Sounds Interesting & wild, but it would be dangerous too. Are you really wanting to go for it, as I am scared after reading your post & would like to give you suggestions that don't do all these things. Adventure is good, but in limit, so think once again!

New Delhi
Level Contributor
175 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

Eve, i totally agree with you that adventure has to be in limits but there is a fine line between danger and thrill. I want to experience the peak of thrill without getting in the danger zone. I hope that makes some sense?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

Lions aren't really jungle animals.

What is more important, lions or jungle? You suggest Africa in your title, but most of the jungle areas of Africa are in the centre or west of Africa and for various political reasons not to mention Ebola, these aren't great areas to go to at the moment. Uganda or Rwanda would be possible.

There are jungles in South America, central America, various bits of South East Asia, but no lions. Your description of jungle and rain sounds more like the Amazon than Africa. Or at least there are areas of Africa like that, such as Sierra Leone and Liberia, or the DRC, but you probably wouldn't want to go there right now. You can read Tim Butcher's books Chasing the Devil and Blood River which are very interesting accounts of travelling in these areas.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

[Eve, i totally agree with you that adventure has to be in limits but there is a fine line between danger and thrill. I want to experience the peak of thrill without getting in the danger zone. I hope that makes some sense?]

Well you didn't reply whether the suggestions in my post #3 were the kind of thing you're looking for. (South Luangwa, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara all have lions and cheetahs as well though I forgot to mention them; and sometimes leopards in South Luangwa too.)

So no, without you specifying whether that was helpful or not, it doesn't make more sense than it did before.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 16:08
9. Re: Suggest some place in Woods, Africa i guess? 27 male indian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16