We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Last year I took my first solo trip within the states to Savannah Georgia (at your suggestion) and had a great time enjoying a walkable downtown with parks, history, and delicious food. Now I'm having a hard time deciding a next destination for August.

I'd like to go somewhere outside the US to fit my budget. Canada (Quebec?) could work. I am a budget traveler, meaning that my biggest expense will be airfare (around 400 tops hopefully). Accommodations may be someone's couch/ my hammock or a private room. I'm into nature, history and food (not drinking or smoking). If I could pull a week-long trip for $500 total, I'd be happy! I'm thinking of central/south America but am open to other suggestions. I'm a female, 29. Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

I've noticed some places like Panama, El Salvador and Peru have great airfare. Any info on these places for a young solo female traveler who likes food and nature and history on a budget would be appreciated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,972 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Just a consideration that August fits into rainy season for many Caribbean locations. Keep that in mind. Also, be sure to visit the local forum boards for your destinations. We don't have all the answers here.

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Thanks for your note on rainy session. I'm not considering Caribbean...the countries I listed were in central and south America, but that's good to know.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,972 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

I'm sorry - Maybe I'm not reading my map correctly - Panama is located off the Caribbean Sea. Whether it's in Central America or not, you still deal with tropical activity in the Caribbean. Hence, my comment.

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Thanks for your note on rainy session. I'm not considering Caribbean...the countries I listed were in central and south America, but that's good to know.

I understand your point, but the same way no one calls Guatemala or El Salvador Caribbean locations, Panama is not a Caribbean location. It's the last country in the Central American strip. I mention this so that thread can stay focused on places I mentioned. Thanks for your input.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Why not you go to Australia, it has lots of holiday places where you can enjoy a lot. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & many more places are there. You will surely like it, you should think about it..!!

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

I'd consider Australia but I doubt it's in my budget. Airfare alone would be too much.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Picking up on your reference to Quebec, it's just a perfect destination for a solo traveler.

I stayed at the HI Quebec City hostel. It was cheap as chips - from memory about $25 -30 a night for a bed in a dorm room including breakfast.

The staff organised heaps of free daytime and evening activities for those who wanted to participate including historical walks around the walled city (the only one in North Americas) and bar crawls visiting fantastic hole in the wall jazz venues.

The hostel is inside the walled city so right in the centre of everything. I stayed for 4 days and wished it could have been longer.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,972 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Referring back to your Post #1 - I like the idea of Peru. If you can make it fit your budget, I've heard it's very adventurous and can be done on one's own. My only reservation would be if you could do enough activities to make it worthwhile, or if this one might be best to wait until you have more time and budget. I've only been to Quebec City once, agree with the previous response.

usa
Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You've helped me before! Can you do it again?

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I agree Quebec City may be the easier trip for me to plan ( easier to navigate solo and enjoy the music), but Peru sounds great too (especially the food and history I'm reading about), like it'd be a true cultural change. I'm still looking into both areas. I'd fly out of Florida.