We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to usa for first time & solo

1 post
Save Topic
travel to usa for first time & solo

Hey I'm a 22 year old guy from Australia. Am thinking about going to check out USA for the first time next year. More then likely going alone due to no friends having the funds or flexibility with work.

I guess the main thing I am a bit worried about is how risky it is to travel alone and because I've never been there before.

Cheers.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

Personal safety? If you stay out of the bad parts of town in the bigger cities -- and bad parts of town almost always look like bad parts of town -- especially at night -- your personal safety won't be placed at unnecessary risk. That is true if you are traveling alone or in a group. The only difference from a personal safety standpoint when traveling alone is that you do not have the option of getting rip-roaring drunk at a location that is out of eyesight range of your chosen lodging for the evening.

I would add that the safety factor is very different if your USA trip is going to emphasize major cities (New York, Washington, Miami, San Francisco) as opposed to the national parks of the West (Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Mesa Verde).

So the question is what sort of trip are you planning and where do you want to go? We're a big country here.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,021 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

miiitchww

Im sure if i want to Sydney/Australia i could find trouble.

no different in the USA or other places in the world.

Believe it or not, there are still people living, breathing, sleeping, working and traveling in the USA.

sounds like youve been reading too much on TA and all of the scary things that happen.

just bring your common sense with you on your travels to the USA.

Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
946 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

As far as you don't go to seedy areas there is no specific danger to travel to US cities.

There are many dangerous countries in the world, but honestly safety is not a big concern (as far as you use common sense) when you travel to the USA.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
897 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

A quick google search for "bad parts of ____ city" will give you the neighborhoods to stay in, and stay out of. also, fairly easy to recognize a bad part of town. like the previous poster said, bad parts, look like bad parts... enjoy!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,094 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

Do your research miiitchww. The Top Questions often have such advice.Don't think you can see these from a phone.

Ask on the forums if the accommodation you fancy is suitable.

Search the forums for the place you are going by putting the key words in the small search box above the threads and a list of answers to that have been answered previously will come up. This can be really useful for finding specific info that may not be so common.

You can also use this search box for checking each destination for others experience. Put in ;Solo Trip Report' for the destination. They can be surprisingly useful too.

There's one here in the TQ;s for Las Vegas

Also very helpful to give you confidence and see that everyone has glitches, doesn't get everything right, gets a bit lost - all sorts of things and they are often the ones you remember and laugh about later. That's what makes it an adventure.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 20:44
6. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 19:08
7. Re: travel to usa for first time & solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 07:16