We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

Hi,

So I'm going travelling around a few islands in Indonesia in a few weeks for 4 weeks. My first long distance solo trip :)

I'm just having a bit of a problem with backpack sizes! I generally overpack - taking far too much clothing but 'typical girl' I like options!

I'm only small framed and 5'4 so I highly doubt I'll be able to carry anything over 80-85L!! My friend recommended 60L although this looks surprisingly small!

I was just wondering what people recommended?

Thanks! :)

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

I think your friend is right. I am 5'8" and have always gone for 65l. When it is full, it is heavy enough. I don't think I could go for anything much heavier.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

Rethink what you really need to take. Are you going to be shifting locations often? If you are, you will be EXTREMELY tired of your backpack after 4 weeks. Also, if you are going to wear it as a backpack, then any time you are doing so, your main 'view' will be of your feet, because you'll have to lean forward with all that weight on your back.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

Yeah I'm changing location every 2-3 days! I'll cut down the amount I'm taking definitely then!

Thanks!! :)

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

You can get by with a lot less in terms of 'outfits' than you're used to at home. Remember that if you're moving around there won't be anyone to notice a 'repeat.'

Personally, I only take basics. And I tend to visit Europe in the winter. Underwear, several pairs of corduroy trousers, a number of white shirts, two or maybe three cardigans. No jewelry aside from the two rings I wear all the time, and a watch. No decorative scarves, etc. A swim suit, because Budapest and Hungary is noted for its thermal baths. Minimal make-up. A washcloth. All the trousers 'go' with all the cardigans. No, I don't go to 'dress-up' places, but this lot does fine for almost anything in Budapest and the rest of Hungary for three weeks. A purse that's big enough to hold my little digital camera, wallet, passport, and other real essentials. Small things are things you're likely to lose or somehow or other leave behind.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

These last years I travel with about 40-50 liters filled in my 60 liter backpack (about 1/4th emtpy) and try to keep it around 12 kilos max when leaving home, even when I travel to countries with mixed climates, or for more than 4 weeks. On the way back it's usually a bit heavier and fuller with clothes or souvenirs I bought.

Apart from that I also carry hand luggage in a shoulder bag. Leaving my big SLR camera home is such a relief, I travel with a small compact camera with 20x zoom these days.

I still have a tendency to bring loads of stupid "what if?" stuff and too many shirts I don't even wear. But I'm learning. :-)

Plugs and chargers can be a killer, and toiletries like sunscreen, lotions, deodorant, mosquito repellent etc. Try to buy stuff over there (although it's harder to find small travel size items), and use the hotel shampoos.

Just wash clothes frequently and bring layers that you can combine in all sorts of ways, and multifunctional shoes. When traveling you tend to wear your favoritie shirt over and over anyway. It's not a fashion show. And you can always buy things over there.

For the tropics (and nightlife) I'm a huge fan of t-shirts made out of 70% bamboo and 30% organic cotton. Wrinkles fall out as soon as you put it on, it doesn't stain or smell from sweat, it's soft, and dries fast after washing. It's a bit sensitive so do wash carefully.

"Bring half the stuff you think you'll need, and double the money you think you'll need" ;-)

Los Angeles...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

I did indonesia last year for a month, solo backpacking, and packed with a 65. but i basically wore 2 swimsuits, 2 shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 1 sweater, 2 t-shirts, 5 pairs of undies. i washed my clothes weekly (sometime a few times a week) in a hostel sink. pack light! you can recycle your clothing :) and traveling with less weight will make the trip so much more enjoyable - esp traveling by scooter, train or foot. enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Backpack sizing and weight - Indonesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 05:16