We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

This question came up on a destination forum - and I think it might be better answered here.

If someone were to ask you "What is a gay friendly place we could stay at..." what criteria do you use to determine if it is gay friendly or not?

Is it if it is gay owned? Advertises in gay publications? Is it a feeling you get from the advertisements or their staff?

I said I know it when I feel it - but I think it may be something that non-gay people might not pick up on. But I think it's more than a well placed rainbow flag :) What do you all think?

Thanks!

Noah

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

That is a tough one now that I think about it. I've started and stopped typing several times. I suspect gay friendly would have to be defined by the person looking for it.

Agreed that it is one of those 'know it when you feel it' things. Explaining it is difficult - when I check in I don't want to be asked over and over again if I'm sure I wanted the room I booked, with only one bed; I don't want to be given a different room without even asking me so we have more beds; I don't want a cold shoulder from staff; I wouldn't want to worry that sexual orientation would lead to criminal charges or violence. Perhaps gay friendly is actually a continuum, from no overt discrimination, to completely welcoming and accepting?

I certainly don't think it has to be gay owned or advertised in gay publications, but if they are/do it helps to assure me they are.

ktown

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

To me it means that I dont have to be asked silly questions as quoted above.

It does not matter if it is gay owned or not.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

Which questions are you referring to, hemikiwi?

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

questions about , do you want a twin room as you are booked into a king bed etc ..,.Not that ot happens much nowadays , dependig on location of course.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

My thought is often 'gay friendly' gets confused with businesses catering to gay clients, especially with accommodation listings on booking sites. Large chain hotels list as 'gay friendly' and whilst I doubt they are unfriendly and probably employ some gay staff, and often advertise in gay publications, I suspect the 'gay friendly' label is more about exposure to another potential clients base.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

i agree. Gay friendly just normally means - we dont care who occupies our beds!

I have tried gay owned establishments throughout the years but have always found them lacking at the top end of the market.

I think it really depends on the country in which you are travelling.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

Noah, this is an interesting question you have raised and I see it come up in the Australian forums from time to time.

Hemikiwi, I think your last line - I think it really depends on the country in which you are travelling - is very applicable.

My interepretation of "what makes a place gay friendly" is more relevant to hotels than most other businesses. I am not aware of any hotel or motel in Australia that would not allow 2 occupants of the same sex sharing a bed. In fact Im sure it would come under the anti-discrimation act if an owner did not allow it.

But it is certainly relevant in some other countries where the acceptance of gay and lesbians is not so tolerant. I have holidayed in certain countries that would not allow me to take another male to my room - even for a coffee.

In Australia, there are more and more businesses that display the rainbow sticker on their front window or door. Too be honest, Im not too sure what this represents. Whether they are trying to entice more people to spend money in their shops or some other meaning.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

I have a friend that will only stay at a hotel that is either gay owned or where the majority of the clientele is gay. My partner and I dont care and we just want to stay at a place that will welcome us. What gets me is that often times, gay accommodations tend to be more expensive than other places. This is an interesting topic.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

sometimes more expensive but not offering the quality that should come with it! I guess for some, a gay owned establishment means that they can meet others and share information on venues etc., Maybe its a throwback from days of old, when it was much less accepted for 2 men to share a bed etc.

In my experience in europe, gay owned hotels have not been very luxurious at all.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What makes a place "Gay Friendly?"

I think places that target couples and singles would be Gay friendly. Places that target family vacationers would not be gay Friendly

Get answers to your questions